New member from Toronto, Canada

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HermanY

Reaction score
Hi, New from Toronto. Just brought used speaker CLX-Art, now hooked up with Jadis JC-80MC tube pre, Jeff Rowland 8 transistor amp. After familiar with CLX sound, next plan will add a sub. Some saying ML good with all tube sound? If it is true, next next step will change tube amp too. Hope will learn from you all! Herman

Herman, welcome, congrats on the new acquisition !

From another Canuck, welcome aboard. Your list of equipment is impressive. Your music just got elevated!

Hi, New from Toronto. Just brought used speaker CLX-Art, now hooked up with Jadis JC-80MC tube pre, Jeff Rowland 8 transistor amp. After familiar with CLX sound, next plan will add a sub. Some saying ML good with all tube sound? If it is true, next next step will change tube amp too. Hope will learn from you all! Herman

Herman so what wood type did you get? Also just curious what speakers you had before and why you choose the CLX? Beyond that I have a few suggestions:
1. You will definitely need subs and the ML ones are very good with their custom crossovers and PBK kits to optimize.
2. Spend sometime on grounding your system even a simple earth ground will have noticeable effect on the darkness of the background.
3. Room Treatments have a tremendous impact of overall sound quality

Herman so what wood type did you get? Also just curious what speakers you had before and why you choose the CLX? Beyond that I have a few suggestions:
1. You will definitely need subs and the ML ones are very good with their custom crossovers and PBK kits to optimize.
2. Spend sometime on grounding your system even a simple earth ground will have noticeable effect on the darkness of the background.
3. Room Treatments have a tremendous impact of overall sound quality

Hi GW1800 Mine is Dark Cherry wood. Previous I used Verity Audio Parsifal Encore speakers. Thanks for your suggestions, by the way, regarding your suggestion "grounding system", is it means just the pre amp + amp? Or including speaker? If including speaker, how the speaker be ground?

Hi GW1800 Mine is Dark Cherry wood. Previous I used Verity Audio Parsifal Encore speakers. Thanks for your suggestions, by the way, regarding your suggestion "grounding system", is it means just the pre amp + amp? Or including speaker? If including speaker, how the speaker be ground?

Herman - There are a few ways that I'm familiar with. First off there is a link within ML https://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-prewiring-a-home-theater.php that I found quite helpful when wiring my room for audio.

If you have a distribution block for your power in my case the Nordost QB8 http://nordost.com/qrt/qbase-ac-distribution.php there is a ground lug as part of this unit. There are many other brands that have a similar ground lug on their distribution block also. Initially I just connected a earth wire ground to that lug with good results. Later I purchased a Entreq Silver Tellus http://www.entreq.com/products/ground-boxes-17667704 and also connected that to that same lug (but still keep the ground wire also connected) with better results. I then later added a Everest to the one terminal that also improved the result.

My most recent try to improve the result even further is I experimented with multiple boxes of Entreq Olympus Minus one to each mono amp and then used the unused terminals on the ST to my DAC and Aurender. But also at that time Nordost came out with their QKore product so I also experimented with that to compare. Ultimately ended up with the QKore 6 so I now have the QB8, each mono amp, DAC, Music server and my router all have a grounding wire plus I did keep the earth ground connected to the QB8, The final tweak was to place 3 TC Sort Kones under the QKore 6 that also improved the effect. The results are definitely better by far then my past setup. Compared to the multiple boxes of Entreq I did like the Nordost setup better but they were both actually quite good. For once Nordost was actually less expensive since the multiple boxes of Entreq and their special cables can get quite pricey but also just the physical space needed was more then I could handle. Just a note one thing you can do with Entreq and not Nordost is ground the speakers. I did not go to that extent but you would need two individual boxes and would connect each to the negative terminal of each speaker. Nordost is quite good to loan out equipment to try I would certainly do that and see for yourself. Grounding is actually not all that expensive relatively speaking compared to other upgrades. However you will find once completed as if you just did a major component or cable upgrade.

You will find with grounding a much much darker background, better separation of instruments and tighter bass. You may think you have that all now but actually you have only got part of all that until proper grounding is applied. Many will roll their eyes as this gets similar responses as cables but for those that actually try and listen (Vs complain that it makes no sense to possibly work yet never try) it actually does. The very simplest and least costly is the earth ground once you hear what that can do you will be a believer and want more.

Beyond that you will really like the CLX speakers particularly with subs. Interested in hearing your comments. Also are you going to post any pictures?

Just an added note. I have a Silver Tellus minimus in my media room. I did not want to put another earth ground in nor did I want to share this room with the music room earth ground. So I went with the STM and an Everest connected direct to my processor - in my case the Anthem AVM60. Before I did if I turned up the volume with no signal there was a definite buzz after connected dead silence. Takes up little space but it was so effective.

Last edited:
Herman - There are a few ways that I'm familiar with. First off there is a link within ML https://www.martinlogan.com/learn/faq-prewiring-a-home-theater.php that I found quite helpful when wiring my room for audio.

If you have a distribution block for your power in my case the Nordost QB8 http://nordost.com/qrt/qbase-ac-distribution.php there is a ground lug as part of this unit. There are many other brands that have a similar ground lug on their distribution block also. Initially I just connected a earth wire ground to that lug with good results. Later I purchased a Entreq Silver Tellus http://www.entreq.com/products/ground-boxes-17667704 and also connected that to that same lug (but still keep the ground wire also connected) with better results. I then later added a Everest to the one terminal that also improved the result.

My most recent try to improve the result even further is I experimented with multiple boxes of Entreq Olympus Minus one to each mono amp and then used the unused terminals on the ST to my DAC and Aurender. But also at that time Nordost came out with their QKore product so I also experimented with that to compare. Ultimately ended up with the QKore 6 so I now have the QB8, each mono amp, DAC, Music server and my router all have a grounding wire plus I did keep the earth ground connected to the QB8, The final tweak was to place 3 TC Sort Kones under the QKore 6 that also improved the effect. The results are definitely better by far then my past setup. Compared to the multiple boxes of Entreq I did like the Nordost setup better but they were both actually quite good. For once Nordost was actually less expensive since the multiple boxes of Entreq and their special cables can get quite pricey but also just the physical space needed was more then I could handle. Just a note one thing you can do with Entreq and not Nordost is ground the speakers. I did not go to that extent but you would need two individual boxes and would connect each to the negative terminal of each speaker. Nordost is quite good to loan out equipment to try I would certainly do that and see for yourself. Grounding is actually not all that expensive relatively speaking compared to other upgrades. However you will find once completed as if you just did a major component or cable upgrade.

You will find with grounding a much much darker background, better separation of instruments and tighter bass. You may think you have that all now but actually you have only got part of all that until proper grounding is applied. Many will roll their eyes as this gets similar responses as cables but for those that actually try and listen (Vs complain that it makes no sense to possibly work yet never try) it actually does. The very simplest and least costly is the earth ground once you hear what that can do you will be a believer and want more.

Beyond that you will really like the CLX speakers particularly with subs. Interested in hearing your comments. Also are you going to post any pictures?

Just an added note. I have a Silver Tellus minimus in my media room. I did not want to put another earth ground in nor did I want to share this room with the music room earth ground. So I went with the STM and an Everest connected direct to my processor - in my case the Anthem AVM60. Before I did if I turned up the volume with no signal there was a definite buzz after connected dead silence. Takes up little space but it was so effective.

Hi GW1800 Very informative information plus your own valuable experienced, very helpful indeed. Previous I used Power Plant Re-generator, it help to lower background to some extend, since it was broken, not to bother to replace another one, grounding may be my next route to go. Right now still in a speaker placing stage, after settled down, will post pictures.

Hi GW1800 Very informative information plus your own valuable experienced, very helpful indeed. Previous I used Power Plant Re-generator, it help to lower background to some extend, since it was broken, not to bother to replace another one, grounding may be my next route to go. Right now still in a speaker placing stage, after settled down, will post pictures.

Herman

Hoped it helped. It took sometime to get to my conclusions but now that I’m listening to them it’s rewarding. I applaud you to get the right placement of the CLX and do take your time as a small tweak physically will reward you greatly. However I can’t stress enough that you need subs. I know one of the TAS reviewers listens without subs but can’t imagine how that is ideal.

Welcome Herman

I have CLX with a pair of Descent i with the CLX filter and am very satisfied. I haven't tried the Balanced Force 212. Before I had the subs I was happy enough but now I wouldn't be without them. As GW1800 has stated, placement is very important and don't forget to experiment with forward tilt once you have them positioned.

Enjoy

DDzCLX

Yes, I think sub is important, my room is not large, right now looking for JL 112 / REL S/5 or ML 210. Thanks for your experienced.

Hola Herman. That´s the sub that I use with my CLXs, and the you can download the special firmware for match the CLXs with the BF-210. Also my room is small, and I had changed all my electronics. You can see my system at members No. 460. I had previously two Depths I subs, and now I only use one BF-210. It is not that the Depths I were bad, I just liked more the sound quality of the BF-210 and my CLXs. Just give it a try!
Happy listening!

Last edited:
Couple days ago, got an invite from Toronto member Stereoman, have a chance to listen his Summit system, good set up, learn few things from him. Thanks again Stereoman.

You're welcome Herman. It's always fun meeting club members in person. After you left my place I adjusted the speaker toe-in based on your comments. You'll have to come again to hear the improvement.
Bill.

You're welcome Herman. It's always fun meeting club members in person. After you left my place I adjusted the speaker toe-in based on your comments. You'll have to come again to hear the improvement.
Bill.

Bill
Love to, will bring SACD if come.

Herman

Back