Exhausted with research...Need help...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 19501

I understand that speakers should be a priority, and I absolutely agree. I already feel like Martin Logans, even the ESL and ESLX are very good. I also appreciate the thought of waiting and saving up which I may end up doing. The problem with that is what should i really save up to get? The 11's, which are ~10k, not counting amp and extras? That's gonna be 2x my "budget". I would love to own some Martin Logans sooner than later.

Thanks again!

If you are in for the long haul which I think you are I would wait. I know that this is easy for me to say as I'm not the one that needs to wait but believe me in a couple of years you will be so happy that you did. I'm thinking 1 year of misery is worth the satisfaction that you will have once you get what you really want and not just compromised. I'm sure with some digging you could come up with a used pair of Montis and associated used hardware but the new stuff particularly in the ML line is just that much better. You wanted a great streaming system I still think the ML 11's or 13's, Parasound integrated and Sonos for starters then in a couple of years add the Aurender A10 would be stellar. After that add a 210 sub or two and you will be so happy you took the slower path that had some pain instead of the quick fix that leaves a bad taste after the initial rush wears off. Your wife has given you the go ahead so use it wisely if you go used and then want to update within a year or two you may not be able to go back to the well multiple times. Make your first time count!

Hi James,

Many good ideas from our fellow forum members. Two alternate ideas to consider.

1) Used gear available on Audiogon. Two channel system.

Speakers: ML Spires. New $8,500. Gon price $4,000.

Integrated amp: Hegel HA160. New $3,800. Gon $2,600.

CD / DVD: OPPO 105. New $1,400. Gon $800.

Total estimated cost $7,400 for the above. Will need some wire but that's relatively easy.

2) Save your pennies for something like GW's recommend and buy the "Paradigm Soundscape" sound bar in the interim. Have it in my new home. Very musical (does strings and piano quite well) and I listen to it a lot for background music. $1,500. And when you upgrade into the "big rig", can use on another TV with an optical output.

Send me a PM and I will provide phone contact if you want to explore other ideas. Too many other options to recommend.

Best,

Gordon

Last edited:
Thank you all again for the input

I'm now kind of thinking of doing a soundbar and am probably going to do Sonos since I already have multiple other sonos speakers. That way, I can continue to save the pennies and make a more "desirable" purchase down the road.

I have noticed some pretty good prices in audiogon and will continue to keep an eye on them.

Thanks again all for the continued input and I look forward to any other suggestions people may have!

P.S. You guys have some pretty fantastic looking systems!

Hi guys,

As much as I loved my ML's, I'm afraid I can't / won't have speaker that's as visually imposing, despite how attractive they are.

Am getting my Pulsar's dialed in and am thrilled about how "big" they play for their small size. Sonically, no regrets except for some low end weight. Above 40hz or so, they work very well for me. Will probably consider an REL sub, at some future date, to fill in the 40 to 30hz range.

Gordon

Gordon, I would gladly have CLXes in my living-room. My wife says she would not object....especially since we can't afford to buy them! :p

Hi Bernard,

I'd really love to hear those one of these days but I'm going in another direction. I have to say that I now understand those who recognize the "diffuse" imaging of a planar speaker and prefer the imaging of a two way (or multi driver) dynamic speaker. In some areas, I prefer the Pulsars over the ML's and MBL's. And the very small footprint really works in my new living room without compromising the musical listening experience.

Perhaps Dave can provide comment on this since he recently switched to a "driver" based speaker.

Hope you are well.

Gordon

Thank you all again for the input

I'm now kind of thinking of doing a soundbar and am probably going to do Sonos since I already have multiple other sonos speakers. That way, I can continue to save the pennies and make a more "desirable" purchase down the road.

I have noticed some pretty good prices in audiogon and will continue to keep an eye on them.

Not a bad plan at all, so 'down the road' is your plan to build a sweet 2 channel rig or one that will do it all ?

As for the previous suggestion by timm on the used Spire's, I had them, they were a great speaker yet somewhat bettered (x-over improvements) in the Montis. That's the speaker I would be seeking out in the used arena and then add sub(s) when and if needed.

View attachment 19501

In the picture above, The wall with the windows measures about 19'9" and the wall with the fireplace measures 18'3" with the stone fireplace about 5'. My TV and entertainment system are king of in that nook and measures 5'10", leaving about 3' on either side for speakers. Open 2 stories tall.

I understand that speakers should be a priority, and I absolutely agree. I already feel like Martin Logans, even the ESL and ESLX are very good. I also appreciate the thought of waiting and saving up which I may end up doing. The problem with that is what should i really save up to get? The 11's, which are ~10k, not counting amp and extras? That's gonna be 2x my "budget". I would love to own some Martin Logans sooner than later.

I understand that nobody likes budgets, but for a starter system then, what should I realistically think of spending?

Thanks again!

I would say that having seen your space - I would make a run for ESL11A and perhaps a good integrated for now, then move up the ladder with separates later.

Go used or new, up to you.

But going new, you get dealer support, especially since you don't seem to be upgrading from this initial expense AND you're new to the game.

I think a combo like ESL11A and Parasound Halo Integrated or Rotel RA1592 would sound very good.

Thank you all for your input, thus far.

I guess I'm really going to have to look hard at used equipment, which seems like could be a really good deal.

Just like with any other electronics, it always seems like "if I just save a little bit more, then I could get...." pretty soon, you're just saving and not enjoying.

Thanks again, and I'll definitely keep my eyes on this forum for any additional input!

If you are still considering a new pair of Classic ESL 9's, I have a brand new pair in Gloss Black. Here is my MLO listing:
http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...FS-New-Martin-Logan-Classic-ESL-9-Gloss-Black!!!

Feel free to send me a PM if interested.

Hello All!

I live over an hour from a larger city. One day, my wife and I were able to make it the larger city on a "date night" and made a stop at Best Buy with a Magnolia center. I was/am looking for some bookshelf speakers and sub, with a receiver to primarily listen to streaming music, with the occasional movie in the living room. After sampling many of the products there, imagine my surprise when the missus said " I really like those Martin Logans (Classic ESL-9 and Impression ESL-11)". She really loved the "look" of them and didn’t much care for any of the bookshelf speakers (since I would have to get stands) or any of the floorstanding speakers. She mentioned they would "look great in our living room"

Sweet! Now my problem. Since then, I have been researching Martin Logans, Electrostatic speakers, pre/pro systems, AV receivers, Dedicated amps, Subs, Direct servo subs, and pretty much everything in between. I have visited numerous forums, websites, and have even been in touch with the Magnolia Rep. Information overload. I still need help. Here's what I need to know:…..

Thanks in Advance
James
James, I didn't read through the whole thread, but perhaps my experience can help.

I've wanted a pair of ML speakers since the 1980's when I first heard the CLS. But fate plays its own role in life, and it wasn't until a couple summers ago that I stumbled across a seller with an entire reQuest system with a Bryson 4BST Amp, Aragon Preamp, Panamax conditioner, Velodyne sub, Salamander rack and big-ass Monster cable speaker wires... all for $2000, 1/5th compared to when new.

So, don't get caught up in the siren song of having to buy new. Like a pre-owned sports car, fine audio is readily available on the market at very attractive prices. Even if you buy the speakers new at prevailing prices, the savings from buying previously owned equipment enable you to stretch your budget to compensate for buying the MLs at retail.

As to streaming, I'm a firm believer in a Raspberry Pi and HiFiBerry DAC+Pro, or their new DAC+Pro XLR. IMO, it's 4-digit performance at a $100 price point... and with the savings there, you can buy a great set of cables and interconnects from SignalCable. Touch base sidebar if you want to learn more.

Check the classifieds here, Audiogon and US Audio Mart for some great deals

Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back