Bump stocks. Who will be

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
the first Republican that will sponsor a bill to make these illegal?

Or will they all just sit on their hands for fear of NRA reprisals?

For those who haven't tuned into the latest gun massacre in Las Vegas, this device turns a semi-automatic into an automatic killing machine that can fire hundreds of rounds per minute.

And I really appreciated the interview and honesty of the female US Congresswomen who refused to participate in the proverbial "moment of silence" after an event like this. She felt it was totally hypocritical because after the numerous "moments" following these ever increasing horrific events, she said what always follows is more silence and no action.

Should be interesting.

It's only a matter of time before someone does a mass shooting at an NRA convention. After that they will probably ban guns from NRA events...

So the rest of the world is just aghast in their bewilderment. I can't believe this is even a debate for you guys.

You just sit back and watch this happen, over and over again. I would have thought Sandy Hook would have been the final straw?

You've got mass killings happening constantly. You've had 275 mass shootings this year alone. You've had almost 12,000 gun related deaths (again, THIS YEAR ALONE)!

Contrasting - it has been 7,834 days since Australia's last mass shooting.

Yes, we do have mass shootings, and we will no doubt have another one.

Whether it's gun control or something else gone totally awry, you guys surely understand that this sort of sh1t just doesn't happen in other countries. If guns aren't the problem (as is so oft quoted), then something else is very very wrong. You'd want to find what it is quickly, right?

You just sit back and watch this happen, over and over again.

Adam,

Your generalization is simply not true. I, and many others are abhorred by the lack of "reasonable / common sense" legislation action. But as I said, there will be silence for three main reasons IMHO.

1) Responsible gun owners will not make their voices heard by the NRA.

2) The power of the NRA and the fear it causes amongst those legislators who are terrified by the potential pushback they will receive if they vote for ANY gun legislation that is contrary to any NRA dogma.

3) After a week or two, people forget and desire to take affirmative action dies.

That's why this incident is quite poignant regarding potential federal legislation. If ever there were a "no brainer", this is it.

And we call ourselves a "civilized / caring" society. With 300 million plus guns in the USA, what utter hypocrisy.

And I'm waiting for the inevitable "this is the first step towards taking away our gun rights and the Second Amendment" statement.

Gordon

PS: Two additional thoughts. One, how could his girlfriend not know the shooter was amassing this many firearms and bullets? Secondly, I assume a Federal National Register of all guns purchased would have raised some serious red flags regarding this individual. Appears he went to numerous gun dealers to purchase various weapons so as to not raise concerns.

Last edited:
That's why this incident is quite poignant regarding potential federal legislation. If ever there were a "no brainer", this is it.

I would have thought that would have been Sandy Hook! But hey, that's what I mean by "sit back and watch it happen over and over again".

And not once have we seen a constituionally armed, responsible gun owner stop a situation when a mad-man does this sort of thing.

And we call ourselves a "civilized / caring" society. With 300 million plus guns in the USA, what utter hypocrisy.

When I was a teenager, I travelled through many parts of the US, but on this trip, Louisiana and Texas stood out - the juxtaposition of a supposed "civilised society" while riding in the back of a truck bouncing around on pot-holed roads between Lafayette and Baton Rouge with guns and ammunition bouncing around with us; was quite extreme for a foreigner. Fun times though :)

And I'm waiting for the inevitable "this is the first step towards taking away our gun rights and the Second Amendment" statement.

As I said - if guns really aren't the problem, then there is something else gravely wrong. You would want to find it and fix it pretty quickly.

Those arguing against gun control (maybe they're right) - should have the onus put on them to explain what the true problem in the USA is; and how to fix it. Because only one thing is for sure - you just can't let the status quo continue any longer.

There was another mass shooting on the very same day as Vegas - in Kansas. Another four killed in Arizona yesterday. They are so frequent they happen almost simultaneously.

Last edited:
Well according to reports it looks like the NRA may actually be on board with doing something in regards to bump stocks. I am betting most or a very qualified 'all' people had never heard of this device. And btw - there are OTHER ways to transform a gun into full auto. If you note - this bump stock seems kind of 'hack' in its approach - although simple. Since it has gotten all of this airplay - now everyone knows. Great.

I have mixed feelings about reporting out 'and this is how the nut job did it' .. for obvious reasons of copycat like attempts. Note I said 'mixed feelings'

And Adam - you are right - there is a 'grave issue' that needs to be addressed. Unfortunately I believe it is more of a societal social issue. I.e. Did your momma and daddy raise you right? That coupled with this country has a huge target on its back. And all of this still doesn't mean there isn't a way to tie it back to the general populations ability to handle their freedoms and rights. I see absolutely no reason for a lot of these weapons. I get the thrill and fun of shooting one? But when someone decides to bring one out in the street - I can get my thrills elsewhere.

Our country is sick and mass shootings are a relatively recent event in our history.

When I was a kid I could bring a jack knife to school and had never heard of a school shooting. Whereas we have had multiple school shootings in the county I live in over the last few years.

I think many gun owners not only remember a time where most gun owners were responsible but they still think of people on those terms.

They judge the relative safety of gun ownership in a bygone era where people took responsibility for their actions and had coping skills when the world didn't go their way.

Unfortunately our society is becoming less civilized. People are lonelier now than ever in history and have less ties to their communities. As a result they don't care about the people around them as much and when they get upset about something they lash out in ways no one would have dreamed of doing a few decades ago.

So while gun ownership used to be OK in the US, I don't think it is anymore and that is only because our society is going down the toilet.

This is where responsible gun owners get mad and don't want to pay for the bad decisions of others.

So let's compare my school days to now.

Many High schools no longer allow purses, backpacks or large bags to be brought to school. They have armed security guards and metal detectors.

When I was a kid there was none of that. Our kids are growing up paying for the bad decisions of others and learning that they can't be trusted.

There are no easy solutions to these issues, and none of the proposed solutions are "fair" to everyone. We are continually losing freedoms in the name of safety and I expect this will become much more and not less of a trend.

Last edited:
I own a number of guns but don't see how a bump stock could be classified as anything but the automatic weapon category.

If you have watched someone use one, the shoulder pain must be extreme.

Aside from that, those weapons that you could put them on would overheat the barrel as they were never meant to have that many rounds going through.

To me, it seems like a ridiculous product with no legitimate reason for their existence.

To me, it seems like a ridiculous product with no legitimate reason for their existence.

I strongly suspect one of many firearm modifications manufacturers can build under the guise of "protecting gun rights".

It's purpose appears to be very simple. Turn a deadly weapon into a really deadly weapon on steroids.

I strongly suspect one of many firearm modifications manufacturers can build under the guise of "protecting gun rights".

It's purpose appears to be very simple. Turn a deadly weapon into a really deadly weapon on steroids.

This is the first time that the NRA said that maybe this is something that should be looked at which seems like the first time they have ever opened something up to be regulated. They are very wary of any regulation because they see it as a momentum issue, where one restriction is followed by another, so this is a hard comment for them to make.

I believe their general comment was that automatic weapons are heavily regulated and since Bump Stocks fall into that catagory should be looked at in that way also.

I didn't watch Meet the Press over the weekend but heard a replay of on interaction between Sen. Chuck Schumer and Sen. Dianne Feinstine. They were conversing on the shootings a week ago.

Sen. Schumer asked her If she could create what ever laws today that would prevent another Las Vagas event what would she create?

Sen. Feinstine said (I may not have the exact verbiage) " Well I'm not sure. I would have to think about it but I would say that there is probably nothing that could prevent another situation like that".

there is probably nothing that could prevent another situation like that".

Nothing to prevent it, for sure.

But what if you can extend the regularity of these events from every second day, to 7,800 (and counting) days without a mass shooting?

Just about every other civilised country seems pretty successful in doing so.

This is the first time that the NRA said that maybe this is something that should be looked at which seems like the first time they have ever opened something up to be regulated. They are very wary of any regulation because they see it as a momentum issue, where one restriction is followed by another, so this is a hard comment for them to make.

Exactly. And this is why we need to dump these far left/far right idiots. They can't use common sense to govern and that's a problem.

Exactly. And this is why we need to dump these far left/far right idiots. They can't use common sense to govern and that's a problem.

That's the root cause of most problems in the world.

People seem predisposed with polarising hard line one way or the other.

By definition, a controversial topic is controversial exactly because there are damned good arguments on both sides.

If people would see it from a logical and objective viewpoint instead of polarising one way or the other then the world would be a better place.

Nothing to prevent it, for sure.

But what if you can extend the regularity of these events from every second day, to 7,800 (and counting) days without a mass shooting?

Just about every other civilised country seems pretty successful in doing so.

And you suggestion for accomplishing this would be?

I may not be up to date on the news but a mass shooting every second day?

The problem with the US is that it is an odd duck with lots of historical paranoia and distrust for authority etc.. and lots of wanting to feel good about ourselves and nationalism.

Let's use Confederate Statues as an example.

Very few statues were put up after the Civil War and even Robert E. Lee said that he didn't think we should put up statues and should try to get the country past this and move on. I'm paraphrasing.

Most civil war statues were put up around 1910 and then there was another surge in the 1960's by KKK and white supremacists who were against equal rights and trying to make a statement.

However we have many people who have great grand parents who fought for the Confederacy and cognitive dissonance is strong. These people will believe many things to feel good about themselves and the people they love. So they try to change history a bit and say their fore fathers were not fighting for slavery, but instead states rights.

This would be harmless if we were all in this together. Unfortunately the descendants of the slave labor force don't see things the same way and they are very offended by this.

Basically this would be like having Nazi heritage and trying to downplay the holocaust to feel better about themselves and then finding Jewish people don't feel the same way and are very upset.

So most Confederate statues are not civil war history at all but are attacks on black's rights or to make people feel better about their ancestors.

Guns are the same way.

I was in the ARMY and I saw the lust some people developed for weapons very quickly. They gave people a feeling of power and the whole tear it from my cold dead fingers runs true. These people are very passionate about their guns and would get violent to protect their weapons. The rampant paranoia in this country only fans the flames and fear is a very strong motivator.

These are both subjects that will divide our country and it's unlikely that the emotions on either subject will drop to a level that allows reasonable discussions about them.

Basically we are screwed until sane minds prevail and I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

And you suggestion for accomplishing this would be?

I may not be up to date on the news but a mass shooting every second day?

Actually, more than every second day. Well more. 278 mass shootings in the USA this year to date.

Source: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

You guys are immune to it, but seriously, this stuff doesn't happen in other countries with anywhere near the same regularity.

Back