New speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

Now that I am moved into my new residence in New Mexico, decided to downsize from my MBL 116's. After some substantial auditioning in my system (thanks to a true mom and pop store in Tuscon, AZ who loaned me their demo pair), going with the Joseph Audio Pulsars. Will likely add an REL T7i sub (or two) once the JA's are broken in.

For my tastes, I find the JA speakers to be a stellar (and emotionally involving) stand mount monitor that does all the things that a two way design should do with some surprising mid bass presence / weight. And they play quite "big" despite their small size.

Gordon

sounds good Gordon but ......................

:ttiwwp:

No I didn't Alan. There are simply too many options in this type of speaker and the ability to do a "no risk" audition in my home, before purchasing, is very limited.

PS: And on another note, my dog got "skunked" a couple of nights ago. Thought it was me but I know I don't smell that bad. You be nice Dave. :rolleyes: Took her to get a bath and the skunk treatment this AM.

Last edited:
PS: And on another note, my dog got "skunked" a couple of nights ago. Thought it was me but I know I don't smell that bad. You be nice Dave. :rolleyes: Took her to get a bath and the skunk treatment this AM.

Gordon....... am I ever anything but 'nice' ...... :devil:

good luck with getting the puppy to smell better, post some pics up of the new kit when you get a chance !

Sorry to hear about your dog trying to make new friends now that you are settled in.

When we lived in Maine our dog got skunked. 3-4 tomato juice baths followed by regular K9 shampoo and he was tolerable.

Worse comes to worse a little old spice might help, though they might bring home another unwanted new friend.

Hi all,

Installed a REL T7i sub yesterday. First impressions are very positive. Suffice to say I am very happy with current set up and I know it will improve once I find the optimal "blend" between the Pulsars and the REL.

Gordon

excellent Gordon, again lets see some pics of the new kit !

Hi Dave,

Someone far smarter than I will have to help me do this. I'm not very good on the computer.

Gordon

Good to hear you are happy with the results of the new speakers. Did you sell the MBL's or wait to see how you felt about different equipment?

As far as posting picks. That cute grandson must be coming for a visit sometime in the near future. I generally use nieces and nephews for the tech lifting.

Hi Brad,

I found a "mom and pop" store that sent me the Pulsars to audition. Following that, I ordered my pair in piano black and then sold the MBL's on Audiogon. As much as I loved the speaker prior to installing the REL sub, the sub has brought the overall performance to a much higher emotionally involving level.

This was my first experience with inserting a sub into my two channel system and I couldn't be happier with the results. And it's only been two days. I know that the "blend" will get better as time and "adjusting" x-over, volume, and location will allow. I am amazed how important the 30 to 40hz area is regarding ability to provide the "bottom foundation" to the musical listening experience and what it means in practical, daily listening terms.

Best,

Gordon

PS: The Pulsar is a much easier "lift" for the amp and it rarely gets out of the first 20 watts / Class A mode despite loudness "peaks" at 90db plus. And much to my surprise, it is very easy to discern the correct position of the REL "phase" switch and any position or setting changes.

Last edited:
It’s amazing what good subs with great integration can to for the overall sound of a system. I have always had systems with subs however integration has been problematic. Glad you are now hearing that somehow a sub not only fills in the bottom for sure yet it seems to enhance the sound frequencies well above it.

Hey Gordon. I’m quite surprised you let go of your MBLs, but it sounds like you are pretty happy with your new setup. That’s all that matters in the end. Good luck with it!

Hi Rich,

Hope all is well with you and family. Tried the MBL's in my new house and wasn't able to get the performance I wanted without the speakers being visually obtrusive in my living room. Hence the reason for the change of course. And I am very happy with the new set up. Far exceeded my expectations regarding what a monitor on stands and sub can sound like.

Best,

Gordon

Gordon, the Pulsars were on my short list for a long time as well. Phenomenal speakers for the size and price. Paired with the REL I’m sure you will have fun for years to come.

GG

Sad to hear about the MBL exit.... but I'm glad you found a good sound with the Pulsars.

All is good Doc. Love the new system with the REL sub. Keeps getting better as I fine tune final position. I'm done except for replacing CDP sometime in the future.

Best,

Gordon

I must say - after owning mini monitors crossed over with a sub - for years it was what I liked. I enjoyed the surprisingly immense sound and great imaging.

I'm done except for replacing CDP sometime in the future.

Gordon, I know I’ve said this before, but... Please do yourself a favor and audition the PS Audio Memory Player / DirectStream DAC when you decide to upgrade your cd source. I truly believe it is the best sound for the money that you will find. Timm will back me up on that. If you p.m. me, I can give you the name of a dealer that will give you a substantial discount off the list price.

Latest posts

Back