Crossover Levels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajaans

Reaction score
I recently purchased the Motion 40's along with the Motion 8i Center Channel to upgrade from my old Klipsch bookshelf system.
I run them with a Yamaha Aventage 760 amp. (I was a bit worried about power but the salesman told me they would be fine and they sound crystal clear).
The YPAO setup sets the center channel to small and the crossover at 60, the mains to large and crossover to 60. Should I change the crossover to the lowest rated range of the speakers which I believe is 40Hz for both.

Sorry for the newb question but there will be more :D

Assuming the mic placements were correct, then the measured results should be accepted, and in your case, seem completely reasonable for those speaker models.

Only thing I'd suggest is to change the mains to 'small', so the low-frequencies below 60Hz are re-directed to the sub.
I assume you also have a sub as well to handle the LFE and the crossed-over low frequencies?

Just for contrast, I run my huge Monoliths and my custom center (with 6x 7" woofers) using a 60Hz crossover.

One of the benefits of YPAO / Audyssey / etc. is that they measure the actual in-room performance of a speaker and don't try and push it beyond what it can actually do. So just because the Motion 40 is rated down to 40Hz in an anechoic chamber does not mean it can actually do that in your room.

Back