Would love your opinion on my setup 14 x 22' home theatre

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strydenn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am very new to owning ML or any of this type of speakers and my first time having a home theatre. I am currently building a new home and I will have a 14' x 22' home theatre room with 9' ceilings in my basement. It will be fully enclosed with a double door to get in the room on the back. I am currently planning to have a 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 home theatre setup. I have currently purchased the following equipment:

Marantz SR7011 receiver (I also have a SR6011)
Motion 50XT for center
Motion 35XT x 2 which I plan to use for front left and right
Motion FX x 4 that I plan to use for surround L/R and rear surround L/R
I was planning to put 2 or 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos

My question and where I need your assistance is the following:
1. Should I use 2-4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos or should I buy Motion AFX x 2?
2. For the Motion FX, do I truly need to mount them at ear level or can I mount them at ceiling level and angle it down with the original ML brackets? For cosmetic sake I would prefer to mount them closer to the ceiling.
3. Should I use 14 or 16 AWG wire for my speaker wire?

Since I am building a new home I have all open walls where I can do what I want.

Thank you in advance all for your suggestions and have a great day!

First off, welcome to the fold !

As for your HT questions, I'll let the HT folks chime in, I'm a two channel guy !

Hi everyone,

I am very new to owning ML or any of this type of speakers and my first time having a home theatre. I am currently building a new home and I will have a 14' x 22' home theatre room with 9' ceilings in my basement. It will be fully enclosed with a double door to get in the room on the back. I am currently planning to have a 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 home theatre setup. I have currently purchased the following equipment:

Marantz SR7011 receiver (I also have a SR6011)
Motion 50XT for center
Motion 35XT x 2 which I plan to use for front left and right
Motion FX x 4 that I plan to use for surround L/R and rear surround L/R
I was planning to put 2 or 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos

My question and where I need your assistance is the following:
1. Should I use 2-4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos or should I buy Motion AFX x 2?
2. For the Motion FX, do I truly need to mount them at ear level or can I mount them at ceiling level and angle it down with the original ML brackets? For cosmetic sake I would prefer to mount them closer to the ceiling.
3. Should I use 14 or 16 AWG wire for my speaker wire?

Since I am building a new home I have all open walls where I can do what I want.

Thank you in advance all for your suggestions and have a great day!

If you have the room go with 4 Atmos you will not be disappointed. I have two because of space but would of gone with 4 as it will be that much better. Also go with 14 ga. if you update to better surrounds which is almost inevitable with this hobby you are good to go as you update with little extra cost. Later on you will wish you did and it will be more costly and a big hassle. I did all ceiling Vanquish and really like the speakers, the ability to select sound direction and how they are virtually hidden. I think for the perfect setup ceiling is not ideal for side and rears but I think that is overrated. I don't see a 4K Bluray listed??

Thank you for taking the time in responding and appreciate the details. This is very helpful and gives me some good ideas. I have not bought a 4K Blu Ray yet, but plan to buy one. I will mostly use my system to use with my 65" Samsung 4K TV, my PS4 and soon Xbox One X. I do a lot of Netflix and Amazon 4K watching as well. Thanks again and will definitely use 14AWG now and prepare to use 4 in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Back