System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim, is the inspector in #134 pleased with the progress? Always important as you well know.

So far she's very pleased. There's upside for her as well. She works from home and I'll be vacating the office where the system has been residing for the past 10 years. She's looking forward to having her own space as much as I am.

Still though, Happy Wife, Happy Life, right?

Last edited:
That's the best truth, Tim. A reason why I got my room, there are no kids any more living with us, so, she gave it to me!. One room for me, and the whole house for her...good deal! Happy wife, happy life! Long time ago, I had my system at my electronic workshop. I lived upstairs, and the workshop was downstairs. Now, I have my room...not too bad...and enjoying my system as never before. Happy listening my friend!

More Progress

A bit more progress over the past few days. Texture is all applied on the drywall, and a few test patches for paint are down. I'm picking up the paint later today and primer will be sprayed Friday after all the caulking is complete. Tile for the bathroom and bar area floors is down. The rest for the shower will be done Saturday. Final paint will probably be complete next Monday. Checking now to see if I can pull the carpet installation in to the 17th. Getting closer...

Attachments

• DSC06040.JPG
    DSC06040.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 199
  • DSC06041.JPG
    DSC06041.JPG
    470.7 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC06045.JPG
    DSC06045.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC06036.JPG
    DSC06036.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Well I must have been a good lad as Santa's bringing me a super present this year! The room is 98% complete and I spent the last 4 days moving things in and getting them just so. I was going to post some pictures, but the damn camera battery is dead. Charging it now, will update with some pics shortly. So good to have the turntable back in the system after more than a year. Listening to Dead Can Dance "Spiritchaser" on vinyl right now. Got my GIK custom Artpanels yesterday and just leaned them against the front wall. WOW, now I understand the impact of room treatments. More to come as soon as I have a fully charged camera and some extra time.

Last edited:
I'll get pictures up sometime Friday beek - got the family Christmas thing in full swing right now.

Steve, yes, I was stunned at the immediate difference 3 panels on the front wall made. Need to figure out what to do next once I get a feel for the room. I want to effectively treat the space without overdoing things and sucking the life out of everything. Funny how there's always more to learn.

Last edited:
First images of new room

As promised on Christmas Eve, here are a few preliminary images of the room. I'm still in the process of moving things in, but you can get a rough idea of what things will look like eventually. Equipment locations and furniture is pretty much going to remain as you see here, but of course fine tuning will take place, like finishing the lighting install (all Phillips Hue and Cooper WaveStream), getting the acoustic panels hung, cables all routed neatly etc.

You'll notice that I don't have the CLS's in place in these shots. I'm having tough time deciding which I like better, the CLS's or the KEF LS-50's you see here. Certainly the LS-50's are smaller and allow some better placement options, and they are actually a bit more dynamic than the CLS's now that they have some room to breathe and are augmented by my REL sub. Not certain how everything will finally settle in place. Moving the CLS's in and out is a giant pain in the arse.

Attachments

• DSC06047.JPG
    DSC06047.JPG
    561.9 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC06054.JPG
    DSC06054.JPG
    629.3 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC06053.JPG
    DSC06053.JPG
    591.9 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC06049.JPG
    DSC06049.JPG
    609 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC06050.JPG
    DSC06050.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 145
Well done Tim !

finally ………..'your man cave' !!

The room looks wonderful Tim, very relaxing. Really like the acoustical panels on the front wall giving the feeling that a storm is brewing. What amps are you using in the most resent pictures? Looked at you system info and it said BAT but those don't look like your old amp. Keep us updated on how the room sounds as you get it broken in.

OMG!!!! The music is the missing link between the Soul that it is located in your chest, and where you live, in your head!...Through the music, you can talk to your soul!

Your room is just a magical set up, my dear friend Tim. I know for sure, that you are now, not only happy, not only, that big smile coming out from your face. You are without stress!. You had finished a dream, an adventure. I wish to you THE BEST!!! ...please receive this big hug from Costa Rica, Tim. You are the one!. The vinyl collection looks fabulous too. God Bless you! Happy listening!

The room looks wonderful Tim, very relaxing. Really like the acoustical panels on the front wall giving the feeling that a storm is brewing. What amps are you using in the most resent pictures? Looked at you system info and it said BAT but those don't look like your old amp. Keep us updated on how the room sounds as you get it broken in.

I need to update the first post to indicate the system I'm running today. This past year I did some significant physical downsizing and sold off my BAT pre-amp and amp, as well as my old Dodson DAC, and my M-DAC, as well as my Esoteric DV-50s and a bunch of cables. Mostly driven by the desire to start thinking about a smaller physical footprint, but all the while retaining good sonic performance. The electronics are all now AURALiC with the Vega DAC feeding the Taurus Pre-amp, in turn driving the Merak monoblocks. I couldn't be happier with the change truth be told. I traded some mid-range warmth for an significant amount of increased detail and punch. No disc spinner at present, all of my digital music is coming off my Mac Mini via Pure Music. Eventually I'll pick up an Oppo BDP-105D to spin SACD's and HDCD's as well as Blu-Ray. The room is pre-wired for a projector and screen that will drop down from behind the front valance. The analog front end is the same - Grado/VPI/Aesthetix all sitting on a rack over by my listening chair.

I'll go update my front page as soon as I can to reflect these changes. Good catch.

Attachments

• DSC06048.JPG
    DSC06048.JPG
    637.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
The room looks great. Very cosy. Love the Orange lights and how they artistically light up everything. All items inside the room look very nice. A taste of utopia.

Have Fun! :music:

All of the lighting throughout the room is LED. The "recessed" cans are from my company (Cooper Lighting) and are actually surface mount "WaveStream" downlights about 2 inches thick. The ambient lighting is Phillips Hue (3 "A" lamp replacements, a LivingColors sphere and an LED strip now mounted behind the front wall valance) all tied together and controlled with an app on my desktop, iPad and iPhone. I can change the scenes to make them any color I want, or mimic morning, afternoon and evening sunlight, essentially tied to circadian rhythms - pretty awesome for when I'm working from home. It doesn't feel like a basement room with only one window.

Last edited:
Back