System #95 (ReQuest originally, then CLS IIz , now YG Acoustic Carmel's)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Room!!!

I'd been planning to build a new dedicated room for the past 6-7 years, delayed mostly by the economic crisis in 2008. Finally the room is in process. Here is essentially the empty canvas. The biggest challenge has been trying to do the construction in stages as we're still using the rest of the space we have in the basement as our home gym. The main listening area will end up being 12' x 20' with an 8' ceiling. There will also be a bathroom and wet bar off to one side.

Attachments

• DSC05922.JPG
    DSC05922.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC05923.JPG
    DSC05923.JPG
    585.8 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC05947.JPG
    DSC05947.JPG
    541.2 KB · Views: 198
Framing

Here you can see some of the framing details. The main wall that will separate the listening room from the rest of the basement will be a double wall fully insulated on each side with a dead air gap between. All exterior walls will be fully insulated and the ceiling as well. The ceiling will also have a second layer of 5/8" sheetrock separated from the base layer with sections of hat channel with visco-elastic dampers, thus mechanically isolated and with an additional air gap.

Insulation is supposed to get blown in tomorrow and then the sheetrock begins!

Attachments

• DSC05967.JPG
    DSC05967.JPG
    595.3 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC05973.JPG
    DSC05973.JPG
    551.1 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC05982.JPG
    DSC05982.JPG
    657.3 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Electrical and Acoustics

I had to work around a sump pump, main water line and flush out at what will become the front end of the room. I decided to build what will eventually become a feature that will be both a visual focal point in the room as well as a combination diffuser and absorber in the end condition.

There will be 3 dedicated lines in the room as well, 2 at the front of the room (one for each of my mono blocks), and another feeding the power conditioner that serves the front end of the system which will be along the right side wall.

Attachments

• DSC05979.JPG
    DSC05979.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 191
  • DSC05980.JPG
    DSC05980.JPG
    696.8 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC05981.JPG
    DSC05981.JPG
    609.2 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC05986.JPG
    DSC05986.JPG
    572.9 KB · Views: 196
Congrats on getting the project under way Tim ! It seems like yesterday when I was down there with you discussing this.

Hola Tim...what a project!!!! As you remember, my cousin Douglas lives in Evergreen. Perhaps I will be visiting him for a week or so...this will be next year. I will love to visit you, and listen to the musician(s) playing for us there, in your new fantastic room! The music is the nourishment for our Spirit. It is the bridge between Earth and Heaven!...I wish to you a very happy listening!

Nice! Congratulations. That room looks like it is going to be just awesome!

One thing though - that's lamp cord, not Nordost Valhalla you're using in the walls there. How can you expect good sound quality :devil:

Thanks Guys, it's good to see it finally coming together. I'll keep adding updates as it comes along, but sometimes it's slow going. The insulation was supposed to have been complete last Friday, but they never showed up. Contractors!

Roberto, it would be my pleasure to host you whenever you come to Denver. I would look forward to seeing you again my friend. Same goes for all of my extended Martin Logan family.

Adam, not only is it not Nordost, but it certainly won't have been properly burned in prior to when I will want to start some serious listening. I share your concerns.

Very happy for you Tim, I remember how it felt when I finally was able to start in my room. One of those dreams come true.

I really like your no nonsense approach to a listening chair.

The wife says no Munich this coming year, RMAF instead, LOL.

So I might pop round and check it out Tim:) 12 x 20 is a good size I reckon.

Thanks Brad - yeah, I'm a minimalist all right LOL.

Justin, I'd be happy to put you up (or is it put up with you?), should you decide to come out to RMAF. You have a relative in the area don't you? Or is my memory failing me. I wish the room were a bit bigger to be honest. After both layers of drywall went up the dimensions are actually closer to 11.5' x 19.5' x 7.75'. That's OK, it's still larger than the office I've used for the system the past 10 years. I'll certainly make it work.

Progress!

Good progress this week. Insulation was netted and shot in on Monday, drywall went up Tuesday and Wednesday, then tape and mud the past 2 days. Texture is being shot today and will require a day or 2 to dry before they deburr it. Tile in the bathroom and bar area goes down on Tuesday the 9th. After that we have fixtures and cabinets going in, paint, final detailing and lighting installation and then carpet goes down on Dec. 19th. Hopefully that will be move in day as well!

I've got a few acoustic panels coming from GIK that should be here around the same time. Starting off minimal for now until I get a feel for the room, then I'll adjust and add as necessary. Can't Wait!!!

Attachments

• DSC05995.JPG
    DSC05995.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC05993.JPG
    DSC05993.JPG
    591.2 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC06006.JPG
    DSC06006.JPG
    486.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC06023.JPG
    DSC06023.JPG
    444.8 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC06030.JPG
    DSC06030.JPG
    466.1 KB · Views: 138
Lookin' good! Finished by the 19th? That's just around the corner.

Yes it is. A little bit of a setback today, but not huge. The cabinets for the wet bar won't be delivered until the 24th (dammit!). That's OK, I can still get all of the audio gear moved in and set up, I'll just have to go all the way upstairs for a drink (as if I were a savage or something). I'm getting stoked. I was just down there and all of the texture is on the wall. Starting to feel like a real room.

Yes it is. A little bit of a setback today, but not huge. The cabinets for the wet bar won't be delivered until the 24th (dammit!). That's OK, I can still get all of the audio gear moved in and set up, I'll just have to go all the way upstairs for a drink (as if I were a savage or something). I'm getting stoked. I was just down there and all of the texture is on the wall. Starting to feel like a real room.

Tim, just bring the bottle down with you ;)

Tim, remember that the first musical notes are always a guess. Just move your chair to the sweet spot. Later on, you will start to move and listen. Mark with masking tape the places that you did like. Then choose where they do sound best! Still on these days, the CLS are one of the best! But you know that. Put some auralex in the corners and almost done. I wish to you A Very Happy Listening!!!

Latest posts

Back