Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought ........some more 'Ethanism' !

interesting stuff there Jonathan........

Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Very true, this is coming. Not only will a system be able to tell you how to treat the room and ideally place the gear, it will also self-adapt. Today's Room Correction will look as quaint as a tone control from a '50's receiver.

For a glimpse of the future, look no further than Apple's upcoming $350 HomePod speaker. This thing performs an analysis of its location and the room environment it is in whenever it powers up using the microphone array of the Siri Mic, then performs some pretty intense analytics (possibly cloud server assisted) and loads up the fairly significant DSP capabilities with a model that leverages the 360 degree mid/high speaker array to 'beam' the music in the most balanced way into the room.

That is an incredible feat, mostly because any person can obtain one, plop it pretty much anywhere and it will sound good. Put two of them as a stereo pair in a room and anyone, I mean anyone will have superior audio results with no effort. Dynamically adaptive sound systems are the future.

Meantime, I'm planning to get a $20K Trinnov processor and go through hours and hours of setup and calibration the extract the most out of my setup

I agree that is where we are going. Drop a piece of hardware into a room, let it acclimate to its surroundings and then listen to incredible sound.

It will be something we all take for granted and don't even think about never mind considering it a hobby.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Ethan's book The Audio Expert has been nominated for a 2018 TEC Award in the category of Audio Education Technology

Go Ethan!

Name:  22049838_10155770093030859_6718918562425481527_n.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  29.1 KB
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

The name sort of implies that he is the expert.
    If he had named it "Be an Audio Expert", I think that it would have been better accepted.

Hi Speedskater,

Mark and I have had our "go arounds" previously and I have chosen to not make any further comments on this thread but I need to make the following observation.

Mark is a huge fan of EW based on his numerous posts on this site. IMHO, he seems to go over the top regarding his support of this guy but that's OK with me.

Some like Mark (the Objective audio type) agree with him. Some, like me (the Subjective audio type) who believe audio is far more complicated to determine sonic differences based on scientific / measurement criteria, do not.

I do wish he would tone it down a bit but he certainly has a right to express his opinions.

Best,

Gordon

PS: The basic question in my mind is how much advocacy for a particular belief is appropriate and when does one cross that line.
    Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09-30-2017 at 01:13 PM. Reason: PS

Ethan is a Facebook friend of mine. I own a copy of his book and I believe it was well written. He is also is involved in some interesting projects that I enjoy following like his null box project.

This thread was started because of a video that Ethan was in where he tried to debunk some audio myths. Obviously he is not 100% successful.

I consider his type of educating the masses nothing short of a public service and I stand by that.

Crossing a line??? Gordon, we tend to agree on politics, but I still consider "snowflake" to be a negative attribute.
    Mark

Good morning Mark,

We both know where we stand. I will let others discuss the pros and cons of EW.

FWIW, I have no idea what you mean by your "snowflake" comment. If you are calling me a "flake" for my position on EW, that's fine with me. This isn't the first time that has occurred.

Best,

Gordon

I too have enjoyed reading Ethan's pages over the years. But he rubs some people the wrong way.

Gordon, I thought the snowflake comment was obvious by it's context about you thinking I've crossed some arbitrary line of decorum. The only reason my support of Ethan's work bothers you is because you don't agree with him.

You have also fished persistently for apologies to comments that appear to have hurt your feelings.

Yes Ethan rubs "some" people the wrong way, but frankly I think being provocative is an asset in this snake oil infested market.
    Mark

No Mark. It wasn't obvious to me.

Thank you for your passive - aggressive honesty.

Trump is also very provacative.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gray View Post
    No Mark. It wasn't obvious to me.

Thank you for your passive - aggressive honesty.

Trump is also very provacative.

Gordon

I thought I was being pretty straight forward. Sorry I wasn't obvious enough for you.

Being provocative is simply a tool that can be used by anyone. Your comparison is sad, very sad

Anyway, let's call it quits on this train of thought.
    I'll respectfully let you have the last word if you want. There is nothing more to be said.
    Last edited by RCHeliGuy; 10-02-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    Mark

Anyways.... So...... how about this weather we have been having?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
    Anyways.... So...... how about this weather we have been having?
    mid- 80's in October ? ugh! I'm looking forward to it cooling off, but it's not cooling down any time soon.
    Mark

Any update on Ethan's project?

Chiming in (late) on the measurements debate. Life in the sub 20kHz audio world is well known and has been cited and understood for eons. Nothing complicated here; it's just electrical voltages and boils down to this:

1. Do you believe frequency, amplitude and phase completely describes an audio voltage signal?
    2. Do you believe we have test instruments that are fully capable of measuring frequency, amplitude and phase?
    3. Do you believe we know what the limits are of human hearing relative to said frequency, amplitude and phase attributes?
    4. Do you believe Scully and Mulder were onto something?
    MAIN: Squeezebox Transporter (slaved) --> Lessloss 2004 mkII Preamp/DAC (master) --> Innersound ESL800 mono amps (panels) & Sanders Magtech stereo amp (woofers) --> Sanders 10c speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumonic View Post
    Any update on Ethan's project?

Chiming in (late) on the measurements debate. Life in the sub 20kHz audio world is well known and has been cited and understood for eons. Nothing complicated here; it's just electrical voltages and boils down to this:

1. Do you believe frequency, amplitude and phase completely describes an audio voltage signal?
    2. Do you believe we have test instruments that are fully capable of measuring frequency, amplitude and phase?
    3. Do you believe we know what the limits are of human hearing relative to said frequency, amplitude and phase attributes?
    4. Do you believe Scully and Mulder were onto something?
    I just asked him for an update. I'll let you know what he says.

BTW I wish it were as simple as what you mentioned. That gray mushy stuff can really screw with reality. On some days my stereo sounds fantastic. On other days it sounds a bit dull. Given similar humidity and barometric pressure the only variable is me. When I have recently exercised it sounds better. If I'm excited about something it sounds better. The key being that my perception is quite variable and dependent on a large number of variables.

The problem is not that we can't measure a signal. The problem is that we can't remotely guess how a person will perceive that exact same signal on a day to day basis. If I happened to change something on a day where I was more receptive to it sounding better, than I might falsely assume that what I changed actually changed something even if it measured as the same.
    Mark