Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Food for Thought ........some more 'Ethanism' !

4. Do you believe Scully and Mulder were onto something?

Is that from the 'X-files' ?

Yes, X-files.

Ethan estimated that it is still a few months out.

He said he is only getting to test on weekends and he a number of talented people helping, but they are not being paid for their work so he can't push them.
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

Quote Originally Posted by RCHeliGuy View Post
    I just asked him for an update. I'll let you know what he says.

BTW I wish it were as simple as what you mentioned. That gray mushy stuff can really screw with reality. On some days my stereo sounds fantastic. On other days it sounds a bit dull. Given similar humidity and barometric pressure the only variable is me. When I have recently exercised it sounds better. If I'm excited about something it sounds better. The key being that my perception is quite variable and dependent on a large number of variables.

The problem is not that we can't measure a signal. The problem is that we can't remotely guess how a person will perceive that exact same signal on a day to day basis. If I happened to change something on a day where I was more receptive to it sounding better, than I might falsely assume that what I changed actually changed something even if it measured as the same.
    Thanks.

BTW, an audio device has no sense of emotion or feelings .... all it does is process an electrical voltage. All of the emotions and feelings are added later, by your brain; the audio device has nothing to do with that.

We can absolutely measure the electrical and acoustic signals that make up the sounds that constitute a musical performance we hear. And we can do so down way below picosecond accuracy and < 0dB SPL. We can measure with accuracy and precision that surpass the human ear and brain by orders of magnitude, and we can absolutely measure the signals that make up a recorded and replayed performance, to 100% accuracy in both signal level and timing.

It really is just about Mulder and Scully
    Last edited by Pneumonic; 11-15-2017 at 07:54 AM.
    MAIN: Squeezebox Transporter (slaved) --> Lessloss 2004 mkII Preamp/DAC (master) --> Innersound ESL800 mono amps (panels) & Sanders Magtech stereo amp (woofers) --> Sanders 10c speakers

FYI, A quote from Ethan

"I'm pleased to announce that the second edition of my book The Audio Expert was just released. I worked on this for about six months, clarifying existing content and adding much new information. The book now totals 808 pages! The good news is the publisher, Focal Press, didn't raise the price. This page on my web site has links to buy the book on Amazon, and to my web store where I sell signed copies with additional content:"

Name:  26219410_10156053025125859_2350455287162818450_n.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  49.6 KB
    Mark
    JRiver Media Server 21 on Windows 10 -> (Async USB) -> OPPO 105D -> Emotiva XPA-2 gen 2 -> Martin Logan Ethos -> my ears

I wish the sub-title was:
    "Everything You Need to Know to be an Audio Expert'