What about Cables ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidrun

Reaction score
Im a doubter when it comes to Cables. But do ML requier other kinds of cables, than a normal loudspeaker do. Of course here is a power cable in 13 A, but are the power cable that comes with the ML good enough ?

Im a doubter when it comes to Cables. But do ML requier other kinds of cables, than a normal loudspeaker do. Of course here is a power cable in 13 A, but are the power cable that comes with the ML good enough ?

You really do not want to go down this rabbit hole. I do definitely believe that better cables help a lot and then there will be others that totally disagree. You need to find some test power cords and find out for yourself.

Hi Heidrun,

With all due respect, this topic has been beaten to death on this and other forums.

I recommend that you follow GW's sage advice if you wish to pursue.

End of thread I hope.

Best,

Gordon

as Gordon and GW said this kind of discussion rarely ends well. I'm somewhat in your camp, while I feel some cabling can make a difference (so long as science / engineering backs it up) but absolutely do not believe in some of the absurd $$ that some audiofools are willing to pay.

As for the power cords to your speakers, you bet there good enough !

Since Heidrun is a newbie here, I should add the following since he's probably wondering what the fuss is all about:

Unfortunately, some of the people here who believe cables do not make a difference do not just state their opinions in a civilized manner, but get extremely sarcastic and insulting (no, not you Dave); you want to avoid being on the receiving end of that stupidity.

Just went through this myself. I'm in the "cables really do make a difference" school of thought, but I'm also a "substance over style" kida guy, and look for a high ROI by buying based on fundamentals, not brand cache.

On the advice of others in this forum, look at www.signalcable.com for some really nice options that compare favorably to other products two to four times their price.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Ah. Sorry - you asked about the POWER cables. So, partially the same answer as I gave above. Depends on who you ask. IMO, you'd do better to work on other areas like speaker signal cables, interconnects, preamp, amplifier and source before worrying about power cables. Others would tell you that the power is paramount, but that's my understanding so far. I'll be experimenting with DIY cables myself soon, having optimized everything else in my system that's within my budget.

Hope that clarification helps.

A discussion of cables generally degrades about as quickly as a signal through a Bose speaker ;)

There, said my piece :devil:

The CLX power cables that come with them are certainly a step above the other stock ML power cords. What comes with the 13’s is OK but you certainly can do much better. Give it a try and see actually hear the difference I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Think I would rather advise in less controversial subjects like...Trump, Hillary, Gay Marriage, Transgender Rights, DACA.....

If you are uncertain, I would place a call into ML engineering and ask them.

BTW I did replace mine, but only with cables half the length of the originals for aesthetic reasons only. They were $5 each and work great!

You sure are frugal. Purchased from Tru-Value Hardware, Menards or Fleet Farm? Just curious?

You sure are frugal. Purchased from Tru-Value Hardware, Menards or Fleet Farm? Just curious?

Amazon.

I don't know if I'm fugal. Something just has to make a difference to be worth spending money on. One year I spent over $30,000 on RC Helicopter equipment because I wanted the very best equipment available. My wife and I typically take 4 vacations a year and eat out a lot. Keep in mind that to me this isn't even a priority issue to me. If I thought a high end power cable made a difference, I'd buy them. This is like someone suggesting that I could buy a bottled Leprechaun who would give me 3 wishes. It's simply impossible, but the belief in magic is strong and people will justify to themselves that it is real.

Now I do have some very real world constraints on my system that could make an absolute measurable improvement in sound quality. My speakers are in my den and I can't pull the speakers out any further from the wall than I have them. Acoustical treatments would help, but are once again not an option because of my wife and aesthetics. Larger panels might increase the sweet spot, but I have to physically lift these speakers and move them and these are the largest/heaviest ML speakers that I can move up and down stairs. So I'm not suggesting that my system is remotely optimized in ways that would really matter.

In terms of real priorities, my wife at one point suggested that our next home have a listening room for my speakers, but this isn't as high on my priority list has having a large dedicated shop space with HVAC and lots of power, an extra garage stall, and a large room for a pool table, ping pong table etc..

Last edited:
If I thought a high end power cable made a difference, I'd buy them. This is like someone suggesting that I could buy a bottled Leprechaun who would give me 3 wishes. It's simply impossible, but the belief in magic is strong and people will justify to themselves that it is real.

After all these discussions we've had regarding this issue I would have thought, by now, you would understand that there are differences of opinion on this O v S issue and you would show some level of respect for those who disagree with your EW driven views and not make insulting, disparaging, judgmental comments about people who believe otherwise.

I guess you can't help yourself.

Someone suggested that the reason for my cable choice was that I was being "frugal", so I explained why this decision isn't based on the money I'm willing to part with.

Simple enough, and believe "alternate facts" if is suits you. It's a free country.

You believe something and I know otherwise. We will never agree on this subject and may as well be debating whether Scientology is a "real" religion.

Last edited:
Mark, I actually bought a 6-pac of Leprechaun in a bottle on Amazon last month. Since I only have a need for one bottle I can sell you one. Jest send what you think is appropriate to my PayPal account. Don't be frugal now, this will change your life.

So apparently you have spent $30,000 on you RC hobby. I'm sure many here thinks that is ridiculous but don't care since it is your money.

Please keep that in mind when you choose to lecture or belittle someone because they elected to spend their money on something that you don't really care about.

Thanks
Brad

Leprechauns are going fast, I'm just sayin.

So apparently you have spent $30,000 on you RC hobby. I'm sure many here thinks that is ridiculous but don't care since it is your money.

It's absolutely ridiculous for many reasons, especially now that I'm not flying very often. One could argue the only thing of value I have from all of that is my 2kW generator that I've loaned out to people without power and have powered my refrigerators with on one occasion.

The key point is that I wouldn't care if you spent $1,000 on a set of power cables if they were sheathed in beautiful looking gold braiding with silver accents. If they look pretty to you that's great. Enjoy them!

However if you tell me that there are Leprechauns in your cables that make your music sound better, I will laugh. Sorry, but there is a huge difference between buying something pretty and buying something because you believe it has a magical property that is not possible.

So in the end this is not a debate about spending money. I've blown money on crazy things. This is about believing in magic.

That is the reason this matters at all to me. It speaks to how easily people can be deceived by others and by themselves. It is why we have a bunch of people in this country who have been deceived by a great many sources of misinformation on both sides of the political spectrum. We have so many beliefs in things that are absolutely stupid. If a rational argument about something with as little consequence as this can't be won, our species is lost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back