3.1 With Motion 15's & 30

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigaodtom

Reaction score
I'm putting a 3.1 in my master bedroom. My wife let me build a HT in my man cave, so in here I have to make sure everything meets her approval. So I went looking for smaller, good looking speakers that were clear and accurate. Sensitivity was a factor too as I'm HOPING I can get away with using a Slim Marantz AVR 7 x50 . That's not a necessity but it would be nice. I'm not looking for it too blow the windows out. 85% of it is TV and movies I watch at night with the wife. She isn't big on real loud, so at its loudest we can still always talk to each other and hear. I also wanted something that when I did play music would just sound really full and musical. After much much research I came to Martin Logan Motion 15's and 30 in the center, Paradigm Atoms, or Qaccoustics Concept 20's.

The Motions are my first choice, as they look really nice, heads and tails better than the others, I've always wanted so ML speakers, and American Made speakers are always my first choice.

So my question for you distinguished gentlemen is this. What do you think about my plan? I live in BFE so I can't really go anywhere to audition. I just gotta go balls deep and order.

Do these speakers do well with TV and Movies? Would I be ok with a Marantz Slim 50 watt a channel AVR? I also like these because down the line I can sneek in some of those smaller motions for surrounds while she's at work. Lol. Also buying speakers refurbished by Martin Logan at their factory, do you all find that safe? I realize some of you spend a lot more on your equipment than my meager little bedroom system, looking at some of the ML speakers actually cause me to salivate, I was just hoping someone here had some experience with them I could hear from. Thanks

Also forgot I will be using an SVS SB1000 Subwoofer. It's small enough to hide away and like I said, I'm not looking to break windows, just hear everything I'm supposed to hear

I've had the Motion 15's as my main 'computer' speakers for over a year. LOVE them. I'm just using a silly little Polk Omni A1 amp as well, and it's barely rated at 75W/channel peak. I probably listen to it at something closer to the 1-5W range more often than not, and the wife and I will often watch streaming shows in bed with them as well (computer set up is in the bedroom). They're excellent little performers. Even without a sub, they dig down fairly comfortably to the 40-50 Htz range with little fuss. VERY clean thanks to that folded ribbon tweeter, and vocals have a clear and easy warmth to their tone that feels to me to be perfectly suited to music and TV/movies. For a small to medium sized room, they should be more than enough- particularly if you're paring them up with an SVS. WAF is very high as well, so I think you're on solid ground. :)

Back