Thread: Weirdest Places You've Found High-End Audio Equipment

Default Weirdest Places You've Found High-End Audio Equipment

We just booked a holiday to Bali, and it got me thinking about what I saw on another holiday there about 15 years ago.

A guy was hawking leather jackets in one of the main streets of Kuta, and invited us up to his house to have a look.

Upstairs in his little flat was a pair of Dynaudio Consequence!

I wish I took a photo. To this day I'm not sure if they were counterfeit or not, but they were being driven by a Choongywhanghong (I made that up - read: Cheap Chinese) receiver and a Choongywhanghong DVD player.

So bizzare.

So, where are the weirdest places you've found high-end audio equipment?

Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

In 1988-9, if I remember right, I was learning and hearing about the new CD technology and was pretty excited to listen to it. I really wanted to learn more but at least in my area there was very little out, nobody knew anything or had anything to see. That year I went to Ireland with my Grandfather for a 10 day group bus tour. Anyway I had heard that Europe was ahead of the US so I thought that maybe I could hear and see a CD player in Ireland. I don't remember how I found this place but somewhere in Dublin in a upstairs room I found what I was looking for in a store. I don't remember what all the equipment was but I was well aware of at the time at least mid range audio equipment and this was at least that or better. I don't remember the name of the CD player possibly Philips.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by GW1800 View Post
    In 1980 ish, if I remember right, I was learning and hearing about the new CD technology and was pretty excited to listen to it. I really wanted to learn more but at least in my area there was very little out, nobody knew anything or had anything to see. That year I went to Ireland with my Grandfather for a 10 day group bus tour. Anyway I had heard that Europe was ahead of the US so I thought that maybe I could hear and see a CD player in Ireland. I don't remember how I found this place but somewhere in Dublin in a upstairs room I found what I was looking for in a store. I don't remember what all the equipment was but I was well aware of at the time at least mid range audio equipment and this was at least that or better. I don't remember the name of the CD player possibly Philips.
    I see my date was wrong it was 1980ish my memory is not as good as it was.
    Music Rm #503: CLX Art DC / 2-212's / Bricasti M12/28's / Aurender N10 / Nordost: O2 Loom / V2 Pwr Spk & Subs, QX4, QV2, QK1, QB8, Sort Fut, Lift & TC Kones, QKore 6, Earth Grd, Acoustical Panels Media Rm #504: 13A's Balsalt Blk /Descent i's / Vanquish / Focus / Parasound 3-A23 & 31 / 65" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM60 / Nordost V2/T2/H2 Pwr & IC, H2 HDMI & Net, QK1, QV2, QB8 & QX2 / Entreq SM / SBooster / Sony 4K Blu-ray