New Basement Being Designed -- Best 2-Channel Speaker Placement?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esl Mike

Reaction score
I have attached an architectural design that contains a partially finished walk-out basement (from the stairs back) that presently is a clean slate.

The basement is to include a bar/kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom. None of these areas have yet been included into the basement’s footprint, but I’ve attached a tentative drawing with the bedroom, bathroom, bar specified. As you will see, there are 2-areas that I believe may be good spots for a stereo pair to be placed.

I would assume having equal &/or parallel walls where the speakers are placed would be a good thing. That is, one side should not be a wall and the other side an open area. Hence, why I picked the 2-areas depicted on the attached tentative floor plan. If you find one placement better than the other, I would love to have your opinion. Or if you think a 3rd. placement area would be more appropriate, please advise. Please note -- with the exception of the bedroom/bathroom areas -- I have no preconceived preferences of how to arrange the basement or where to place the 2-channel audio room.

All ceilings in the area will be 9 foot.
View attachment Basement Dimensioned.zip

I have attached an architectural design that contains a partially finished walk-out basement (from the stairs back) that presently is a clean slate.

The basement is to include a bar/kitchen area, bedroom and bathroom. None of these areas have yet been included into the basement’s footprint, but I’ve attached a tentative drawing with the bedroom, bathroom, bar specified. As you will see, there are 2-areas that I believe may be good spots for a stereo pair to be placed.

I would assume having equal &/or parallel walls where the speakers are placed would be a good thing. That is, one side should not be a wall and the other side an open area. Hence, why I picked the 2-areas depicted on the attached tentative floor plan. If you find one placement better than the other, I would love to have your opinion. Or if you think a 3rd. placement area would be more appropriate, please advise. Please note -- with the exception of the bedroom/bathroom areas -- I have no preconceived preferences of how to arrange the basement or where to place the 2-channel audio room.

All ceilings in the area will be 9 foot.
View attachment 19375

Boy I stared at this one for a bit. If it was me I would move the Bar/Kitchen into that three sided nuck area where it states is a possible speaker area. I'm assuming that the other speaker area the speakers would go along the bedroom wall right? You could go there or 180 deg. along the outside wall. I think I kind of like it along the bedroom wall better since with the stairs and such it will be better traffic flow. Your listening position would be just beyond the stairs mid area. If it was me I would make the bedroom wall from 2x6 and insulate I would also insulate the ceiling area and other walls at least in the listening area. I'm in a basement and having a real hard floor is a real plus for a listening space. Hopefully you have good ceiling height like 9' that also is a big plus.

Last edited:
Boy I stared at this one for a bit. If it was me I would move the Bar/Kitchen into that three sided nuck area where it states is a possible speaker area. I'm assuming that the other speaker area the speakers would go along the bedroom wall right? You could go there or 180 deg. along the outside wall. I think I kind of like it along the bedroom wall better since with the stairs and such it will be better traffic flow. Your listening position would be just beyond the stairs mid area. If it was me I would make the bedroom wall from 2x6 and insulate I would also insulate the ceiling area and other walls at least in the listening area. I'm in a basement and having a real hard floor is a real plus for a listening space. Hopefully you have good ceiling height like 9' that also is a big plus.

I failed to mention that the basement is a walkout and the ceiling will be 9'. We just received a drawing with windows and doors. The 3-side nook will not be completely out of the ground. But the architect believes that a 5' high casement window is doable. More importantly, the outside wall next to the bedroom will have several casement windows and a door. So, I believe that my best spot is the 3-walled 18' wide alcove area. Regarding traffic flow, the basement will be seldom used and then mainly for 2-channel audio. So I'm not much concerned with traffic patterns. I suppose that I've answered my own question, but thanks for your comments....

Back