Can Vikane termite fumigation damage electrostatic panels?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Unfortunately, just found out we have dry wood termites in some kitchen cabinets, requiring whole house tenting and Vikane (Sulfuryl Flouride) fumigation. The pest company told me the Vikane gas will not affect my speakers or electronics, but (given the chemical reactivity of fluoride) I'm concerned it could affect the conductive coating on my new Expressions stat panels. Dow Chemical makes special nylon bags (for protecting food items) but they are too small to enclose the panel. It would be a royal PIA if I have to pack up and temporarily relocate my speakers.

Before calling ML, thought I'd check here and see if anybody with ML's has been through Vikane termite treatment before.

Hola...you are safe, unless you spill the formula liquid direct to the panels. Do not do that. It would be wise to put their covers while you are doing the fumigation. I would wrap them with wrapping plastic then use their covers.

Alan, they will never sound the same, better send them to me right now ! ............. :devil:

Thanks Roberto! I'll wrap them up just to play it safe!

Dave, if I send them to you, I'll have to throw in a few termites!

I wouldn't be taking any chances. Any foreign contaminant on the panel is not good.

We know even benign substances like dust ruin the panels. I'd be wrapping them in their original packaging, and placing large rubbish bags over them to be sure.

We had our house tented and fumigated with Vikane back when I had ML's... No issues with the speakers at all. If you wrap them, make sure you use the special bags they will give you for your foodstuffs.

Sorry to hear of your unwanted guests Alan.

We had to tent our house after the wood floors went down as it had Lycid Beetles in the wood. They had to use 10 times the amount of Vikane used for Termites on the beetles. At that time I had my Electromotion and Logos in the living room and there was no problem.

They told us to not bag anything in plastic as the gas can get trapped inside it. We had to remove any plastic bags from clothing in closets also. Don't be surprised at the other critters you find on the floor after you return.

Latest posts

Back