Headphones ..........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam, my working knowledge of headphones is back in the dark ages so they sound good to me ! Who knows where I'll go with this adventure, probably not to far !

Rejuvenating this thread. Been stuck having to use headphones a lot the past year while working from home now 98% of the time. I've normally been streaming Roon from my Mac and using my Cambridge Audio DACMagic Plus with Adams Audio A5X's. But at times during the day it is bothering others while taking a nap. LOL

So I was forced to start using my Travel Headphones the Sony WH-1000XM3's for listening. Now since I've been doing that I've been hit with the curiosity of better cans and possibly an amp.

Since the last post was in 2017; what do you guys use or recommend?

Also my wife helps out most days with watching my 3 year old niece and she is the one napping. She is only 3 but she runs this house. LOL So headphone listening is a must most days. LOL! Any and all advice welcome.

An alternative to the Stax is Kingsound. I have the H-03 headphones with their M-20 tube amp. It's very comfortable and comes closer in sound to my Summit Xs than my other headphones. Even with upgraded Genelex tubes and Deconi Hybrid earpads, it is much less than a Stax combo.

For closed headphones, I like the Fostex TH900 best.

I have a set of AKG-700's or something, but I never use them and my wife currently has them plugged into the keyboard in the basement, which she also barely uses. She has a beautiful sounding studio piano in the living room.

So yeah, they work I guess.

I work at home usually alone, so I run monitor speakers in my office and my ML's in the Den, or surround system in the media room.

Which STAX Model are you familiar with? Are you using their Amp also?
I don’t own any unfortunately (I really don’t have a need for headphones except when travelling or commuting, neither of where STAX would be suitable), but have heard a lot of them, with both the valve and solid state drivers. There is no comparison.

I heard a pair of STAX way way way back in 1989. They definitely had a nice airy sound to them and some serious power requirements. I've not looked at them since then.

I liked my Stax SR404 and SRM-t006II for years. Last year I bought a pair of Perun Rocks and a Mjölnir Audio KGSS Klassik. Wow that combo is the best headphone experience I've ever had.

Latest posts

Back