Headphones ..........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Thinking about sticking my toe into the water with respect to headphones ........... to start I'd be in the digital arena with respect to 'source' , so here's my current thinking .........

headphone amp - Woo Audio WA-6 (Gen II)

headphones - Sennheiser HD 650

Ok all you headphone experts, chime in please !

Woo Audio is awesome stuff, Dave. And a fully Class A tube-driven headphone amp will sound great. But come on . . . Sennheiser? For the full effect, you just need to go all-in and get some Stax. The SR-507's are only $260 more than those Sennheisers. (And, of course, you would need to add the WEE or get a different amp that powers electrostatics, which is more $$$). For the record, though, I do own those same Sennheisers and they are a perfectly acceptable pair of headphones. But the best sound I have ever heard from headphones was from a pair of Stax with Woo Audio amp/preamp. So if I was going for Woo, I would have to go for the electrostatic setup.

Rich, I really want to 'dabble' into this first, thus the Sennheisers (which I have heard and thought were mighty nice for the $$).

Another thought is to purchase the Oppo UDP-205 (headphone amp incl) and have it all ........

I imagine if you went with the Woo WA-6 gen. II and the Sennheisers, you would be beyond thrilled with the result. The oppo may be adequate for headphone use, but I don't think it will knock your socks off like the Woo Audio amp. If you want a truly special setup for a fairly reasonable price, go with your original idea -- the Woo amp and the Sennheisers.

I use headphones out of necessity. I have a variety for different purposes, such as on the train to work, in the office, etc.

My favourite pair are my Oppo PM1 - they are closed back and great to keep noise out at the office, or when the kids are frisky at home.

But the only pair of headphones I have heard that I would actually want to listen to are Stax.

Dave, why? Is this so that you don't want to disturb someone? If not, I would scrap the idea and use the money for software.....or for upgrades.

I briefly dabbled with headphones many years ago. Lasted about a month before I sold the lot. Part of the picture is paranoia that something will go wrong and blast my eardrums.

Dave, why? Is this so that you don't want to disturb someone? If not, I would scrap the idea and use the money for software.....or for upgrades.

I briefly dabbled with headphones many years ago. Lasted about a month before I sold the lot. Part of the picture is paranoia that something will go wrong and blast my eardrums.

Headphones are a necessary evil unfortunately Bernard. Emphasis on both words - necessary and evil.

You are a very lucky man if you can listen to loudspeakers at any time, at any volume, whenever you want. Unless I lived by myself, on 5 hectares, and didn't work - that would be impossible.

As I said earlier - Stax are the only 'phones I have found to not be in the "evil" category, however because of the design, they don't really fulfill the "necessary" part as they neither keep sound out, nor do they keep what you are listening to from propagating.

Last edited:

actually Bernard one of my plans is to run an extension cable to my loading bench (ammunition) so when I'm loading up a few hundred rounds of shot shells I can listen.

Headphones are a necessary evil unfortunately Bernard. Emphasis on both words - necessary and evil.

You are a very lucky man if you can listen to loudspeakers at any time, at any volume, whenever you want. Unless I lived by myself, on 5 hectares, and didn't work - that would be impossible.
Adam, I gave up listening to music at "audiophile levels" (i.e. LOUD) a long time ago, and, as well, I don't listen to rock at all, so don't need the bass slam. I listen to a lot of female vocals and orchestral music at comfortable levels, so can manage very well with speakers, even living in an apartment (albeit a corner one, with no people below). Even listening to Beethoven does not require the slam of rock (which I detest).

My foray into headphones was at a time when I did have restrictions (in a house, even), but was never comfortable with the captive feeling).

actually Bernard one of my plans is to run an extension cable to my loading bench (ammunition) so when I'm loading up a few hundred rounds of shot shells I can listen.
Dave, aren't you supposed to concentrate on what you are doing then, rather than listening to tunes? Don't shoot yourself in the foot!

Dave, aren't you supposed to concentrate on what you are doing then, rather than listening to tunes? Don't shoot yourself in the foot!

LOL Bernard, my shot shell reloader is almost totally automatic, just insert empty hull, wad and push a button !

Adam, I gave up listening to music at "audiophile levels" (i.e. LOUD) a long time ago, and, as well, I don't listen to rock at all, so don't need the bass slam. I listen to a lot of female vocals and orchestral music at comfortable levels, so can manage very well with speakers, even living in an apartment (albeit a corner one, with no people below). Even listening to Beethoven does not require the slam of rock (which I detest).

My foray into headphones was at a time when I did have restrictions (in a house, even), but was never comfortable with the captive feeling).

What about others disturbing you? I listen at (as you say) "comfortable levels" too (sometimes :) ) ........but any household noise at all spoils my listening time.

LOL Bernard, my shot shell reloader is almost totally automatic, just insert empty hull, wad and push a button !
Excuse my ignorance, Rambo (I know nothing about guns), but what is a shot reloader? Is it what you use to insert shells into your bandolier? What do you hunt? Hopefully you don't use a machine gun to hunt deer. Would it not be more sporting (for you, not for the deer) if you instead used a bow and arrow?

What about others disturbing you? I listen at (as you say) "comfortable levels" too (sometimes :) ) ........but any household noise at all spoils my listening time.
Household noises can indeed be disturbing, but you should just forget you are an audiophile and simply relax and enjoy the music instead of listening intently for every last sound on the recording; otherwise, extraneous noises will drive you nuts.

Of course, you should put on your audiophile hat and listen intently if you are doing something like comparing USB or power cables. :devil:

Excuse my ignorance, Rambo (I know nothing about guns), but what is a shot reloader? Is it what you use to insert shells into your bandolier? What do you hunt? Hopefully you don't use a machine gun to hunt deer. Would it not be more sporting (for you, not for the deer) if you instead used a bow and arrow?

Rambo ??? , LOL Bernard !

here's a pic of my shot shell reloader.....

https://www.mecshootingsports.com/9000e-with-auto-mate

I reload shot shells for the use in the game of 'sporting clays', I typically shoot between 500-800 rounds per month.

Household noises can indeed be disturbing, but you should just forget you are an audiophile and simply relax and enjoy the music instead of listening intently for every last sound on the recording; otherwise, extraneous noises will drive you nuts.

Of course, you should put on your audiophile hat and listen intently if you are doing something like comparing USB or power cables. :devil:

Extraneous noises drive me nuts alright! It's not about being and audiophile and not just "enjoying the music" - for me, music is something that requires 100% attention - whether you are listening for details or not. If I can't give it 100% attention then I'd rather just turn it off. Otherwise, it just becomes yet another one of those extraneous noises fighting with everything else.

Pops

I have the Bowers P7, it is well regarded in the headfi community. It is closed back which is what I needed.

I had the Sennheiser HD650 in the past, that's definitely a well balanced (maybe a Rockport speaker type curve actually) headphone.

I don't have much experience in owning (but have demo'd) stat headphones, but I don't get the inherent advantage of such since the headphone drivers are typically single diaphragm designs without a crossover anyway.

Hey Joey, hope all is well with you and the family.

I purchased the 650's along with the Oppo UDP205 (a very nice piece) and so far I'm quite content. Perhaps down the road 'if' I get more involved with 'cans' I might try out a 'Woo' ..........

I must be crazy, because I know they're popular, but I've never liked Sennheiser headpohones - even the HD800 sounds coloured, nasal and congested. Gimme the purity of Stax any day.

Latest posts

Back