Spacing Between Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
When you guys refer to 'distance between speakers', does that refer to an edge-to-edge distance (between the rails), or a center-to-center distance between the panels?

Being the OCD literal person I am, I take that to mean what it says. The distance between the speakers frame to frame. This would not be the first time my literal interpretation was incorrect.

On any given day, I might use either interpretation; but I would generally specify which I was using. Personally, I don't think the exact distance matters much, in and of itself. What really matters is the relation of that distance to the distance between the speakers and the listening position (the listening triangle), and how all of that relates to the room dimensions and the speaker placement in relation to front and side walls. And the optimum placement will further depend on the room's acoustics and individual listening preferences. Every room and every audio enthusiast will have their own unique requirements/preferences.

Rich, please accept my apologies if this offends you. I had to laugh reading your response to the question. Your first sentence answered Hammerhead's only question completely and quite accurately.

In true lawyerly fashion you proceeded to explain how to set up a listening room even though it was not any part of his request for information. :)

Rich's answer is very complete, nothing to add other than reinforce I also might use it to mean either center to center or frame edges, and will usually specify if important.

Rich, please accept my apologies if this offends you. I had to laugh reading your response to the question. Your first sentence answered Hammerhead's only question completely and quite accurately.

In true lawyerly fashion you proceeded to explain how to set up a listening room even though it was not any part of his request for information. :)

No need to apologize, Brad; no offense taken. I do try to be thorough in my answers, as additional information is often useful regardless of whether it was specifically asked about. I didn't explain how to set up a listening room (that would take several pages of text) so much as I explained why I felt the measurement O.P. was asking about, in and of itself, isn't as important in the grand scheme of things as other related measurements. I don't know where you get the idea that my being a lawyer has some effect on the verbosity of my responses. ;)

Latest posts

Back