Super Size me!!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all....

I had a post in off-topic which really didn't celebrate this... so to my audio wacko friends (i.e. not my wife) .... I celebrate with you!! :)

I have had this long torturous journey (4 years total) with the Magnepan 20.7.... We got a new house about 4.5 years ago.... and I had a completely unfinished very large basement.... So, I committed to finishing it - and making it a sound room... So I took part of it - and made this 17X30 room which I thought would hold the beast of my dreams -- The Magnepan 20.7s.... Very difficult to audition.... need to travel to find them... and I did back in Dec 2014.... Well, I was enamored and decided this was a 'and till death do us part' speaker.... Well ... after much justification.... I decided to go for it.... pulled the trigger... nothing used.... brand new as maggies seem to be terrible travelers and have historic issues with old panels which they have since fixed..... So - I happily spent about 10K less than a CLX or 15a for what I consider a great speaker.... They just do something 'different' than the ML..... Saying that, I am still keeping my ML Odysseys - what a great speaker they still are..... The value ratio is thru the roof on both of these speakers I feel.... as I have listened to Wilson Alexandria XLFs, Sonus Faber Strads, Mac Line Arrays to name but just a few.... and really prefer the 'cheap' 20s..... haha.... I never thought it would come to this quite frankly....
I never thought there would be a day where I went 5 figures on a speaker....

So my new Maggie 20.7s will be delivered in several weeks (after much patience)..... the wait is on.... I needed to get cables and decided - today - to get wireworld eclipse 7 cables at a very great deal with a dealer I have done a bit of business with before.. The wireworlds just never get a bad review ... I can't find one on any forum/magazine etc.... and descriptors like soundstage, layering, clean, dynamic .... all fit into what this system will want and need..... If for whatever reason I hate them... I could sell them at a wash...... but now? The clock is ticking!!!

New room , new speakers, new cables..... It just doesn't get much better than this.... Merry Christmas in July everyone!!! :)

timm, as I said to you over on 'AA' ......BIG congrats, I too love Maggie and have felt ever since my ownership of a pair of IIIa's some 30 plus years ago that Magnepan represented 'the' bang for the buck regardless of MGA all the way up to 20.7's

can't wait to see pics once you're all set up !

timm, as I said to you over on 'AA' ......BIG congrats, I too love Maggie and have felt ever since my ownership of a pair of IIIa's some 30 plus years ago that Magnepan represented 'the' bang for the buck regardless of MGA all the way up to 20.7's

can't wait to see pics once you're all set up !

Most definitely Dave. And yes. I saw you on AA. I just like to spread the word I guess. Haha

So here is a pic Dave... let's see if this works. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 95
Let me say a couple things about these.

I think they are way more sensitive to room placement than MLs. I think the rear wave is so huge everything can change dramatically. But once you find the spot - just wow. These are simply incredible from the bass all the way up to the ribbon tweeter. They bring a sense of scale and dimension that will blow you away. Every night I sit in front of them and am amazed. I have been on a jazz kick lately ... Evans/Getz Gilberto/ Brubeck/ Miles/ Ray Brown... they come to my room.

Classical and the symphony simply breathe thru these. That sense of anticipation awaiting a crescendo.

They just seem to play everything well. I am a happy camper.

Timm, happy for you my friend , they look super !

Congratulations Timm. How tall are those towers?

If you like Getz/Gilberto, you should buy, "Entre Amigos" by Rosa Passos and Ron Carter.

Congratulations!...Magneplanar is another audio brand that brings to the room, the good things! A very good contender for Martin Logan.

Enjoy your new sound!

Warmest regards from Costa Rica Timm.
Roberto.

Congratulations!...Magneplanar is another audio brand that brings to the room, the good things! A very good contender for Martin Logan.

Enjoy your new sound!

Warmest regards from Costa Rica Timm.
Roberto.

Thanks all. It is fun.

Yes Roberto. Planars / stats are really of the same family in my opinion. The dipole nature and boxless sound is what gets us hooked.

I will check that out Bernard. The recording on the Getz/Gilberto is pretty stupendous. Thanks again- and these are 6'7" tall.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new speakers, Timm. I've heard the 20.1's many years ago and was very impressed. Great bang for the buck planar speaker.

Congrats on the new speakers, Timm. I've heard the 20.1's many years ago and was very impressed. Great bang for the buck planar speaker.

Thanks rich. These are supposed to be improved. And I think they are - but my listen to the 20.1 was so long ago. Bass and integration have improved. Also, I think the size of the image has become more realistic.

Every album I listen to is a new adventure. And I agree. They are expensive but still a great bargain in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back