New ML Center Channels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GW1800

Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted already but I have not seen any feedback of users that purchased any of the new ML center channels. I have the new Focus for about 6 weeks now and really like it compared to the Stage X that I had originally. I mention some of the highlights in my system #504 update. More lifelike, much more bass which is nice and to my ear more horizonal dispersion. Anyone get the big boy Illusion?

Has no one purchased a new center channel really? Have any of you heard the new one - comments? I would thought I would of had some comments my now.

I just fired up my new Focus ESL C18 which replaced my 20 year old Logos in the surround system. Clearly a step up at 1st blush. Impressions to follow.

Forgive me if this has been posted already but I have not seen any feedback of users that purchased any of the new ML center channels. I have the new Focus for about 6 weeks now and really like it compared to the Stage X that I had originally. I mention some of the highlights in my system #504 update. More lifelike, much more bass which is nice and to my ear more horizonal dispersion. Anyone get the big boy Illusion?

To save you a bit of time I am directing you to the URL for my review of the Illusion ESL 34A. Spoiler Alert: it is simply that best center channel that I have heard and is a perfect match for the larger ML Panels.

https://www.theaterbyte.com/category/hardware-gear-electronics/speakers-hardware

So here is something that I found out about that can improve your center channel sound including some lower end ML speakers. There is a product called the SBooster https://www.sbooster.com/ which is a linear power supply that replaces the rather small and wimpy looking 12V power to center channels all but the Illusion as it has a real power cord. You can see in the picture what it looks like and what you get for a $3,500 center channel not too impressive. On their website they even list some ML products that they have experience with. I contacted them if one was ever tried on a center channel and they were not aware of anybody trying it. I noticed that the Stage X and my new Focus use the same wimpy wall wort and wondered what if I feed it some better power. This has bothered me with the Stage X for quite sometime but just never really found a good solution. Well the answer is it does improve the sound for like $350. It seemed crisper, more real and it could be a tad louder also. Either way doing a test back and forth you sure could tell. It also accepts a standard power cord so to replace it with most anything I think it could be even better. I'm going to give it a try over the weekend and see. Hopefully this does not degrade into how power has no effect on sound this is slightly different as its a whole different type of power supply feeding the speaker. There is a little bit of a down size as the box that the linear power supply comes is has some size to it so you need some room for it but it is mid cord. Also I was concerned that it might heat up but it does not.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.JPG
    IMG_2751.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
I now think my new Focus ESL C18 is broken in and I am most pleased. I can unequivocally say that it plays louder with less distortion, has greater horizontal and vertical dispersion, a warmer tonal balance and is much much more dynamic than my old Logos. It also mates better with my old Aeon front channel speakers and the Descent better than I hoped it would. Unfortunately the demise of my old Marantz pre pro and my old Proceed amp within weeks of each other led to purchase of a new Classe Sigma SSP and their new 5 channel Sigma amp (a month after I purchased the absolutely killer LG 65E6P OLED TV). I also recently purchased the new Oppo UDP 205 4K player, so essentially a totally new front end for the video system. If you are looking for a new center channel speaker and can afford the Focus, I highly commend it as a capable and credible reproducer for both music and video.

I now think my new Focus ESL C18 is broken in and I am most pleased. I can unequivocally say that it plays louder with less distortion, has greater horizontal and vertical dispersion, a warmer tonal balance and is much much more dynamic than my old Logos. It also mates better with my old Aeon front channel speakers and the Descent better than I hoped it would. Unfortunately the demise of my old Marantz pre pro and my old Proceed amp within weeks of each other led to purchase of a new Classe Sigma SSP and their new 5 channel Sigma amp (a month after I purchased the absolutely killer LG 65E6P OLED TV). I also recently purchased the new Oppo UDP 205 4K player, so essentially a totally new front end for the video system. If you are looking for a new center channel speaker and can afford the Focus, I highly commend it as a capable and credible reproducer for both music and video.
That sounds great. I will be replacing my Stage Center with the Illusion and an Oppo 205 on the 18th of this month.

tonyc you should give the SBooster a try. As good as the Focus is its even better with better power. See my post above.

GW 1800 I am considering ordering one of these power supplies. When I went to the website the recommendation was for a 15-16V power supply. Is that what you are using?

GW 1800 I am considering ordering one of these power supplies. When I went to the website the recommendation was for a 15-16V power supply. Is that what you are using?

Yes. Its actually adjustable 15, 15.5 and 16volt. Couple of things to be aware of. I had the Focus and in order to mount to the wall the short end of the output had a rectangular block with about 3" of cable that had an adapter for various 12V round plugs that they supply. You may need to lengthen this wire otherwise you can't with the cable being so short and no room to tuck it behind the speaker hide this mess. Also I found that none of the 12volt adapters stayed plugged in real well, I made mine work but not optimum. What you can do is use the one that came with the speaker and lengthen the wire that comes from this rectangular block so then it will fit properly and you will have plenty of length to hid the rectangular block somewhere else. You will just need to make sure you attach the correct wire to the correct wire which you should be able to determine with a voltmeter.

If you are not wall mounting the speaker just sitting it on the table then you should have no issues.

Back