Advice on not so expensive preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran a Modulus 3a back in the early 2000's when vinyl was on the menu. It was well designed and had a VG phono stage. Do you want a tube preamp?

If you are looking for a linestage preamp you have a plethora of suitable choices. It's really hard to mess up a linestage design; look for a quality volume control, proper channel balance and linearity in active circuitry employed at the input/output buffer and gain stages. Also, unless you need the switching capability that comes with a separate linestage preamp, you could consider simplifying the setup by driving your amp with DAC's output stage .... essentially using it as the active preamp.

I ran a Modulus 3a back in the early 2000's when vinyl was on the menu. It was well designed and had a VG phono stage. Do you want a tube preamp?

If you are looking for a linestage preamp you have a plethora of suitable choices. It's really hard to mess up a linestage design; look for a quality volume control, proper channel balance and linearity in active circuitry employed at the input/output buffer and gain stages. Also, unless you need the switching capability that comes with a separate linestage preamp, you could consider simplifying the setup by driving your amp with DAC's output stage .... essentially using it as the active preamp.

I was thinking of the Schiit Freya! Haven't found an amp yet. Thinking of luxman m600a, pass xs30.8, Son of Ampzilla II or Cayin Cs55A tube amp.

What do you guys think I should move towards. I don't listen loud. I want more fullness and dimensionality.

And also Coda S12.5 or S5.5. I really want class A. Last week I heard a all Naim system on my motion esl. While sounding detailed and dynamic but it sounded clearly Solid state hifi not music to my ears. Even the Cayin tube amp sounded better.

Work with Audio Advisors or Music Direct. Many choices. Great e-stores with a money back guarantee.

I really want class A. Last week I heard a all Naim system on my motion esl. While sounding detailed and dynamic but it sounded clearly Solid state hifi not music to my ears. Even the Cayin tube amp sounded better.
This indicates to me that you may subjectively prefer hearing certain amounts, and types, of audible distortion. If so, I would strongly suggest you attempt to audition components with the help of a dealer who allows you to try pieces at home. If this is not an option for you then do as Gordon suggests; use an online service that has a generous return policy.

Thanks guys!

Personally - I would pick my amp first. Then if you want to get tubes in the line stage you will need to make sure you have a good impedance match. If you are thinking you need tubes no matter what - look for an amp that has a higher impedance to match better with tube preamps.

Personally - I would pick my amp first. Then if you want to get tubes in the line stage you will need to make sure you have a good impedance match. If you are thinking you need tubes no matter what - look for an amp that has a higher impedance to match better with tube preamps.

Hi Timm,

Which amp do you recommend? My room is about 11x8x20 and I don't listen too loud. I was thinking of the Cayin or Prima Luna integrated.

Hola. Are you looking for a preamp or an integrated tube amplifier?
Sometimes at ebay, you can find Conrad Johnson at a fair price in mint condition. I do like Prima Luna. Their products are good. My experience with some Cayin was not too good...but I do have friends that love their Cayin.
Happy listening!

Hola. Are you looking for a preamp or an integrated tube amplifier?
Sometimes at ebay, you can find Conrad Johnson at a fair price in mint condition. I do like Prima Luna. Their products are good. My experience with some Cayin was not too good...but I do have friends that love their Cayin.
Happy listening!

I was thinking of keeping things simple so a integrated. Dealer demoed the Cayin CS55A in triode mode and had me thinking. Prima luna would be the Dialogue Premium.

Hi Timm,

Which amp do you recommend? My room is about 11x8x20 and I don't listen too loud. I was thinking of the Cayin or Prima Luna integrated.

With all due respect, no-one can tell you what you will like.

Hi Timm,

I missed it. What speakers. What price range?? And Gordon is right. But I know you are looking for other people's opinions. Everyone has one. :).

Oh I just saw motion esl. I too have heard very good things w prima Luna. If it were I - and I wanted to flesh out the system a bit that is where I would head.

Last edited:
Cayin available at Acoustic Sounds. May want to audition Vincent Audio. Available at Audio Advisor.

Two more reputable e-stores with return policy.

Btw has anyone heard the Bel Canto ref 1000 mono? Most reviewers says the imaging of these amps are rock solid as if in the room. They call it harmonic density. Can anyone confirm this?

Btw has anyone heard the Bel Canto ref 1000 mono? Most reviewers says the imaging of these amps are rock solid as if in the room. They call it harmonic density. Can anyone confirm this?
I have no idea what harmonic density is but I do maintain that a power amp should not do anything to the sound image and, if it is, then it is changing the voltage signal in such a way as to do so. Not everyone wishes this signal alteration to happen. At least not at the power amp stage.

Quick question. Are you looking to keep the signal audibly intact from source through to speakers? IOW, are you striving to only hear what your speakers, and room, adds to the sonic equation? If so, this is not terribly challenging thing to do these days, provided you run a digital only source setup. Any competently deigned digital source, preamp and power amp will suffice. Just ensure you grab a SS power amp that is capable enough not to clip (or enter protection mode) when connected to your speakers (and asked to pound out desired SPL's) and you are good to go.

Amazes me the words that reviewers come up with to describe the sound of a component.

Harmonic density. Haven't a clue as to what that means. :cool:

Thanks for all the replies thus far! The viewer meant a fleshed out sound. Many yrs ago I did come across this with 1.7 Magnplaners with Audible illusions L1 pre amp and Classe Ca-100 amp. The track was from the ultimate demonstration disk from Chesky. It was the sax solo. The sax tapping of the the keys were like in the room clear and loud. To this day haven't heard the same. I want that solid fleshed out sound and truly holographic.

Latest posts

Back