Advice on not so expensive preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if anyone has heard of Newform research ribbons. But I had a pair which I modded the crossover with Hovland caps. Then I bought a Melo tubed dvt. I think at the time I had a all entry level Spectral system. I just bought a pair of mullard 6dj8 tubes for the Melos. I cued up the music and Rebecca Pigeons full rounded head appeared left of center. Truly holographic. Then one of the tubes died and that was that so upset. To this day can not repeat but now different room and less room tuning with traps and diffusers.

My motion esl have good depth and sounds smooth for example on the Patricia Barber Companion cd. But like to flesh out sound more.

I recently came across Hi Fi world november 2016 issue. I'm trying to get a copy but they say Icon Audio stereo 30se was a good match.

What's your budget for the integrated amp? If your budget allows, try a McIntosh MA7900 and you'll get what you've been describing as your ideal sound.

What's your budget for the integrated amp? If your budget allows, try a McIntosh MA7900 and you'll get what you've been describing as your ideal sound.

I already made my decision. I placed an order for the Icon Audio Stereo 30SE integrated. Should have it in a month. I was also considering a Devialet D 120. Similar price as dealer was clearing them out. It was tuff decision. BTW my current Nad c390dd is no slouch I wanted some more meat on the bones.

actually heard the McIntosh monos at a dealer and thought it had a warm midrange but lacking in air when driving the Sonus Faber speakers. Also their chassis are too deep.

Hola. I just listen the new Anthem integrated, very powerful and it has a very nice clean sound, with very good holographic sound. Nice with voices and right size with the instruments too. Also has DSD DAC. Check it out...you might like it. Retails for around $4500.00.

Hey, has Rich posted his system pics yet Bernard?
Justin, I don't think we'll ever see Rich's sytem pics. I think he enjoys the notoriety that comes from not posting them, even years after saying he would.

If Class A and budget is what you're after then I think look no further than Parasound Halo Integrated. It works in Class A power for the first several watts, and puts out pretty huge current. I have a P5/A23 combo that is pretty killer.

Justin, I don't think we'll ever see Rich's sytem pics. I think he enjoys the notoriety that comes from not posting them, even years after saying he would.

Agreed B,as I type with a big grin on my face.

He'll change his mind, soon. And post. Really.:ROFL:

Back