Another amp question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Nad has pre outs so probably looking just for an amp. Anybody heard of the new Mytek Brooklyn amp?

Pneumonic nailed it. Spot on reasons why one needs to be careful when shopping for an ESL amp.'

My favorite ESL amp is one designed for ESLs, the Sanders Sound Systems ESL amp or their Magtech Amp. I direct-drive my panels with them (no passive crossovers) and they can deal with the wicked reactive and low resistance (1.2Ohms IIRC) of the huge Monolith (also Neolith) sized panels. Plays nice an clean, even at reference levels (105dB).

Other options if on a budget are the Sunfire amps, they can be found used for not much money, are easy to refurbish and can double their output with every halving of impedance. Which as noted before, is what you need for an ESL. Best are the 'Signature' line.

Finally, I would NOT recommend any Adcom for an ESL, I ran some back in the 90's, and he Sunfires walked all over them once I got those. Ditched the Adcoms quickly.

Sander sound amps look like the real deal! Uses unique transistors too!

Hello, you haven't mentioned what your budget is unless I read past it. There are quite a few amps out there that will drive your esl's quite well. I have run Sunfire amps in my system driving big ML since '98 with really nice results. End of last year I came across a brand new unsold Signature version that was in a dealers warehouse..forgotten. Now, I'm on the lookout for a two channel amp, preferably a Krell FPB or a Mark Levinson 333, for two channel listening.
What is your budget? That may help narrow down some amps..

Dan

Hello, you haven't mentioned what your budget is unless I read past it. There are quite a few amps out there that will drive your esl's quite well. I have run Sunfire amps in my system driving big ML since '98 with really nice results. End of last year I came across a brand new unsold Signature version that was in a dealers warehouse..forgotten. Now, I'm on the lookout for a two channel amp, preferably a Krell FPB or a Mark Levinson 333, for two channel listening.
What is your budget? That may help narrow down some amps..

Dan

My buget is around $2k max! I'm worried new old stock sunfire amps have dried up caps!

A fav of mine in the $2k price range is a used Innersound ESL300 mkII. It was built to drive stat panels (I run one to power my CLSes) and does so beautifully.

Another excellent option are Meitner MTR 101 (with John Wright's plus upgrade) which also were purpose built to drive stats (Acoustats in this case). They won't play as loud as the Innersound however and might be hard to find. Sunfire, or Carver TFM-75, or Hafler 9500/9505 might work.

A fav of mine in the $2k price range is a used Innersound ESL300 mkII. It was built to drive stat panels (I run one to power my CLSes) and does so beautifully.

Another excellent option are Meitner MTR 101 (with John Wright's plus upgrade) which also were purpose built to drive stats (Acoustats in this case). They won't play as loud as the Innersound however and might be hard to find. Sunfire, or Carver TFM-75, or Hafler 9500/9505 might work.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm dreaming but came across gear from Luxman. Only amps specified into 1 ohm. But it's $19k.

Latest posts

Back