Sonoma Audio Electrostatic headphones

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFo

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This should be an interesting option for those looking to get the ESL audio quality in a headphone form-factor, Sonoma Acoustics just introduced a new electrostatic headphone and matching energizer/amp/DAC.

This looks like a quality piece, and at just under $5K, it should be. Initial reviews from a trade show are good, but guarded as trade shows are not the place to really evaluate a can of this caliber (and open back)

The design of the electrostatic element seems pretty innovative, and I wonder what you think of this?

It looks to be a single-sided drive mode, which would leave the 'front' clear of any mesh/grid obstruction, but seem like that would then result in uneven push/pull forces on the membrane.

However it works, I'm glad to see ESL tech being moved forward. But frankly, I expected a piece like this from ML themselves.

SonomaHeadphone.jpg

However it works, I'm glad to see ESL tech being moved forward. But frankly, I expected a piece like this from ML themselves.

I agree, although I'd rather they stick to what they do best, rather than compromise their name on a substandard product. I believe they were looking at purchasing Stax a few years back? That would have been a better strategy for them I dare say - and it is likely Stax have a number of technologies which ML could have exploited.

The absolute best sound I have ever heard from headphones came from a pair of Stax headphones hooked up to a tube amp and preamp. Fabulous sound. I would love to hear the Sonomas.

I have a pair of older Stack headphones which i sometimes run by connecting the energizer amp directly into my Mcintosh C50 Pre. The resolution is astounding. Far better than my Prodigies which are not slouches by any means.

So I guess the Sonomas would be something else.

The absolute best sound I have ever heard from headphones came from a pair of Stax headphones hooked up to a tube amp and preamp. Fabulous sound. I would love to hear the Sonomas.

I agree. I don't particularly enjoy headphone sound, but Stax is the only headphone sound I have actually enjoyed. Ever.

Resurecting this old thread, as I've been looking at electrostatic headphones again, see thread about the Shure KSE1200, and noticed that Warrick audio (makers of the Sonoma) are releasing a version with a fully integrated preamp / amp / energizer unit called the Aperio, see the preview here: https://warwickacoustics.com/the-aperio-reveal/

Anyone going to Munich in early May? Would love to get a MLO members impressions.

Aperio.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back