Is it worth getting a Theater as a center for $1000 ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
I'm looking for an affordable center to go with my Electromotions ESLs. I can get a second hand Theater (not the 'i' version) for approximately $1000. Is it worth getting it? Age is unknown, so it might be 15 years old, I don't know.

No, not a good price IMO. I bought a "like new" Stage for $1,300 recently. Personally, I'm not impressed with ML's center channels, though the C34A may be very good.

Thanks. So what would be a good center for a small to medium (210²ft / 23²m) room? Even if I wanted the C34A, it seems a bit too much for a small room like mine. It sure does look nice though.

Does anyone have experience with the Motion 50XT. I was looking at the C2, but that's no longer available over here and the ESL C is a bit expensive at €2350/$2600 (incl. VAT/Customs).

Last edited:
I don't think that would be a bad center speaker for your system, but I wouldn't pay that much. However I'm not familiar with prices in your area. Here you could pay a little more for a newer Stage. But since the electrostatic transducer is so small on those, practically cosmetic, you could probably get a non-ESL that produces better sound for less.

IMHO..if you pick up a Theater for $800-$900 you've got yourself a damn good center channel speaker. However, with the Electromotions you may be fine to pair up a Cinema i and be just fine.

Dan

Back