Audio research

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garpie

Reaction score
Has anyone used Audio research or another high end tube amplification to drive Martin Logan electrostatic speakers?
I'm considering AR 75 wpc amp with Martin Logan 11A with woofer amp in the speaker.

Have a look through the members' systems pages.

MLs work with a massive variety of amplification; but choose wisely.

75 watts

I tried the audio research 75 watt amp seemed fine but I recently bought a primaluna hp about a third of the price at 72 watts a channel driving my summits with outstanding results plus it has some nice features like auto basis two different modes to play in ultralinear or triode. It uses the el34 output tubes but can use kt120s, kt150s, with a flip of a switch. Goggle it to see the write ups and features. Happy listening!

I have used an AR preamp and SS amplification with ML's, but not an AR amp. With tube amps, I have found that higher wattage amps tend to be better with ML's than lower wattage. My CJ 140 wpc tube amp drives my Summits to perfection. Not sure I would be completely satisfied with the performance from a 75 wpc amp, but it would depend on a lot of factors like the size of room, type of music played, average volume levels, efficiency rating of the particular speaker, etc.

I use a pair of ancient ARC VTM 120 monoblocks (110 watts/ch) to drive my MLs. I'm very pleased with them.

The AR Reference 210 mono blocks are now driving my Renaissance 15s and in no way seems to be troubled by the big drop in impedance in the treble region. My system is all tubes from phone pre (Aesthetix) Audio Research pre-amp and amps. Between input and output stages the entire system uses 62 tubes. The biggest "problem" I encounter, is not only the need for an extensive warm up period, but after 60-90 minutes of that the system needs to actually play music for at least another half hour, before coming near peak performance. It somewhat discourages casual short term sessions.

I therefore use a completely separate solid state system for casual turn on and 5 channel theater use. Any A-B comparison shows a vast difference between the two, the tube side can really suggest the presence of a Steinway concert grand in the room with all of it's breath and harmonics intact, Whereas the ss side comes close in dynamics it abandons the minute overtones of the piano strings well before they dissipate with tubes.

Go for the tube amp.

Last edited:
Back