Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Active Crossovers (Analog and Digital) and Bi-Amping...

Okay, I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet. Instead of only bypassing the woofer crossover, I went for the gold and bypassed both crossovers. I'm currently using crimp-on butt connectors as a temporary thing, just for proof of concept so to speak. I didn't want to take the time of soldering and such in case something didn't work out right. Plus the fact that my current soldering iron is kaput anyway. I'm going to do some shopping around and buy a nice Weller soldering station soon.

I've only done the left channel so far so I can compare to the stock right channel. I'm using a Diana Krall album that I'm extremely familiar with as the reference. I can definitely tell there's going to be some needed tweaking done, especially on the ESL itself, but nothing too drastic. The biggest difference is that the entire left channel is probably a solid 3 dB louder, which goes without saying, mainly in the panel section. And maybe this is due to the extra loudness, but the left channel seems to be a bit more lively and snappy, or in other words, more dynamic.

I guess it's now time to power down the right amp and pull that SL3 apart. In the meantime, here's some pics of the process. It was a LOT easier than I had originally thought!

Last edited by Chops; Yesterday at 10:22 AM.

Analog: Technics SL-1700 MK2/ Ortofon 2M Bronze | Carver TX-11a Digital: Oppo BDP-105D | Roku Ultra Preamp: Carver BillD C-1 w/Remote Volume Crossover/DSP: dbx Driverack Venu360 Amp: 2 x Carver M-500t Mk II Loudspeakers: Martin Logan SL3 Subwoofer: JL Audio e110 Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio PLC Puck x 2 & Yalo Bulala Surge | APC H15 Power/Signal/Speaker Cabling: Wireworld Oasis 7 | Aurora 7 | Ultraviolet 7

And just as simple as that, the second SL3 is done. The first one took me nearly 45 minutes to get through and do. This one... 10 minutes. LOL

Analog: Technics SL-1700 MK2/ Ortofon 2M Bronze | Carver TX-11a Digital: Oppo BDP-105D | Roku Ultra Preamp: Carver BillD C-1 w/Remote Volume Crossover/DSP: dbx Driverack Venu360 Amp: 2 x Carver M-500t Mk II Loudspeakers: Martin Logan SL3 Subwoofer: JL Audio e110 Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio PLC Puck x 2 & Yalo Bulala Surge | APC H15 Power/Signal/Speaker Cabling: Wireworld Oasis 7 | Aurora 7 | Ultraviolet 7