Advice needed: better sound connecting Denon AVR to Cambridge Audio 851W amplifier?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've never done anything like this, so I hope you can give me some advice. I'm currently using ElectroMotion ESLs connected to a Denon AVR-X3300W. When I listened to the ESLs connected to a Cambridge Audio amp (forget which one) at a dealer, I was blown away with the separation of instruments and clear vocals in the soundstage. That was of course in a different room, with different acoustic properties. I can't get that sound back with my Denon AVR at home.

So I would please like your advice; will connecting the Denon AVR-X3300W to an amp, like the Cambridge Audio Azur 851W, improve my stereo experience?
Or do you think that the difference would be small and it's the room and placement that is the more important part of the puzzle?

I've never done this before. Am I right in thinking that all my sources connect to the analog and digital inputs of my AVR and only the pre-out for the fronts go to the inputs (RCA connectors) on the Azur 851W? So I control the volume from the AVR.
And will this work for surround then as well? I mean, will there be no issue with difference in volume levels between the fronts and the rest?
Will having the AVR in between degrade, or have any impact on, the audio?

Thanks for your time,

RDC

Last edited:
RDC (rail diesel car), no doubt amplification and room acoustics both played a part. Room interaction / acoustics are a big factor to which you've described.

Last edited:
New to this forum and new for Martin Logan, but I have a similar setup but with AVR 4200w for ESL, will the amplier really make a different?

High quality separates will always sound better than an AVR. I'm not sure just adding an amp to the Denon will get you much improvement. The preamp in the Denon may be half the problem. But the truth is, for the qualities you mentioned, like separation of instruments and clarity of voices, setup and room acoustics play a huge role.

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll start with improving the speaker placement and trying some acoustic room treatment.

Don't start by spending money on room treatment. Improvise with stuff like blankets, cushions, books, etc., then spend the money after you determine what is needed.

I would start by borrowing that Cambridge amp and trying it out at home.

Good advice! Some months ago I've already made some DIY sound absorption panels and placed them on the wall behind the listening position. They work great in reducing the echo/ringing and look pretty okay too. I've read that in a small room some absorption behind the panels could improve the overall sound. So I'll probably put some bare insulation panels to the wall first, being careful not to loosen up too many fibers, to see if that improves the sound quality.

Back