Rejoining MLO after a long absence

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mokumdirk

Reaction score
I joined when the forum opened in the 1990s as [email protected]. I gave up that name when I moved to Mexico 9 years ago and am now known as "mokumdirk".
There will be just a few of you who will know which town that name refers to.

Setting up a high end system here in Mexico came with a big learning curve and at substantial expense.
Although wiring and connectors are identical to the US, voltage and stability are NOT.
After some huge spikes well beyond the nominal 120 volts, I lost a phono stage and a 100 lb monoblock tube amp which had to wind their way back north through US customs, overhauls by the manufacturers and then the arduous return through the horrors of Mexican customs whose eyes light up when they see electronics of any kind. At least a three month round trip journey involving "contributions" on the Mexican side to various family "education funds".

So I imported a Sola Heavy Duty 10KVA power regulator and conditioner, which then also drew the interest of customs upon entry. At least it solved the problem, no disaster of that kind has reoccurred since then. I had a separate service and box installed and all is humming away contentedly.

My system draws many visitors on a weekly basis when I hold "Victrola" nights where I play mostly classical music on vinyl and open bottles of wine and of course people carry in a bit of Tequila. Much to my surprise if often draws more women than men, which never happened when I did the same thing up north.

I live in San Miguel de Allende, a small colonial town build for pedestrians and donkeys five centuries ago. It has become a huge destination becomes of its intimate cobblestoned streets and a big center for art and eating. 85,000 inhabitants, well over 300 restaurants. You meet people on a daily basis as everyone walks everywhere.

Finding new recorded repertoire was the one big issue when I first arrived, but Amazon deliveries and streaming did away with that issue. It cost me $1,50 to import a CD and $3 per LP.

Saludos,
Dirk Bakker

Last edited:
Back