Opinion - CLSII vs ReQuest 2nd Gen

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

Reaction score
Howdy, folks. I'm the owner of an excellent set of ReQuests (system 517, 2nd gen, with the newer binding posts) but came across a set of CLS II's. I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on whether you thought it might be worth 'flipping' out of the ReQuests in favor of the CLS, or if I'd do better to stick with what I have.

Thanks in advance!

What amp are you driving the reQuests with? Will it be up to the task of driving the CLS? Also, how big is your room. reQuests are big, but CLS's are wider and need more room to breathe.

Verify panel condition. Replacement costs are substantial.

You will also be SPL limited versus the Requests. If you prefer rock music at aggressive volume levels, probably not a good fit.

I'm aware of power requirements and panel condition issues.

Really just looking for feedback on the difference in performance characteristics between the two, and input on which is the better choice, all things being equal.

BTW, they're the CLS 1, not the 2 as I previously thought.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
Hammer, I agree with Tom and Gordon's comments.

Having owned different versions of CLS's (1A not 1 ) I will say they are VERY revealing of all of the electronics and cabling. By comparison the SL3's I owned previously were much easier to pair with equipment.

There is only one way to find out but I would not sell your ReQuests until you have heard the CLS's in your room.

I owned two sets of reQuest, bought my first set new in 1998. I owned the first set for 14 years. If I had it to do all over again I would have ponied up the $2k for new panels and kept them. They are an incredible speaker for the money.
Have never owned CLS, but have listened to quite a few and they are awesome with the right system in place. You will need a high current, stable amp to drive them and a sub is a must.
Dollar for donuts the reQuest is the better all in one speaker. Imho...

Dan

Having owned Quest's and ReQuest's and CLS 1a I would say CLS will reward you with a sound that's much more REAL.. Bass is real if you have a high current amp.. It falls like a guillotine after 35 hz.. Subs are not mandatory but there in lies the issue.. You need a great sub.. I used a Rythmik that has lower x over points.. A large room is a must .. A min of 5 ft from rear wall is needed.,. and you better have the ability to sit 1.5 back from them.. They NEED stands to alleviate slap echo and bass bounce.. I built my Arcici type.. If you have a panel that is low you have a paper weight as its 3 k .. You are not stuffing these in a 12 feet wide room and getting anything more than room bounce! Caveat emptor

Ok, you guys have convinced me to stick with what I have.

There's a seller in my region with a set of CLS 1's for $900 firm. But the frames look on the rear as though they've wrestled with a vacuum hose a few too many times (abrasion/scrapes present), and the owner wasn't able to find the serial number of the panels. That's where I decided to walk away. I don't think it's worth spending that sort of money when, in all probability, it'd cost another $1000 to rebuild the panels.

I appreciate everyone's input. THANKS!!!

Back