CLSIIz power supply problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvvinyl

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the CLSIIz power supplies?(20th anniversary edition)
I have one speaker that has a constant distortion with bass notes. I just put in new panels because that is what Martin Logan came to the conclusion it was. I have sent the power supply to Martin Logan three times. Once even with the speaker panel. The two transformers have been changed out twice because they were arcing. Now, with the new panels I still have a bad distortion, so obviously it was not the panels. I see no arcing anymore, but still the problem exists. Also it shuts down my DAC when a certain volume level is reached. Very strange! I've had Sequel II's for years and they do not shut down my DAC.
I have about 4 grand sunk into these speakers now which is way over what they are worth! I am frustrated with sending them back to Martin Logan. It's $70.00 shipping everytime! Is there anyone that can work on these or have had this problem with their speakers?
Really need some help!!!

Sorry to hear of you problems. I owned different CLS's for years and loved them.

Look for a member here going my Duke. He has done alot of changes to his CLS's and is a good source of knowledge.

Member Roberto is a dealer in Costa Rica and a wealth of knowledge too. Try to PM him. He will give you any help he can.

There is also a sticky thread at the top of the page for DIY and repairs try looking there.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/fo...dex-of-Speaker-mods-and-audio-repair-services

I am guessing you have checked everything upstream in your system and connected the other channel speaker wires and the problem stays and music plays fine through the other speaker. Have you changed the power cord with the other speaker?

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
Thank you Brad225. To answer your questions yes I have swapped the speaker to the other side and the distortion follows. It is that power supply from my deductions. I hook my Sequel II's back up and everything is fine. I had the panels rebuilt by Russ that is in the other thread you sent me. I'm going to call him and see if he can fix the power supply. I should have thought of that myself. His panel rebuild is amazing! The speakers sound better than with the original coating, well except for the awful distortion in the one panel! This has been so frustrating ever since I purchased these from a member on Agon. I figured Martin Logan could fix it, but obviously not. Hopefully someone can figure this out! It can't be that hard for someone who knows electronics. Russ will probably be able to, since he builds his own electrostatic speakers. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back