ESL: any experience using a different power adapter?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the group, having just bought a pair of ESLs. I've read through all the tweaks given in the forum, but didn't find anything about using a different power adapter for the ESLs.

I can't remember where, but I've heard/read that changing the power adapter could have a positive effect on the sound quality.

So I was wondering is any of the ESL owners tried using a different power adapter and are willing to share their experience.

Thanks for your time,

RDC

do a search on "Power cords". This has been discussed with other ML speakers.. some think you'll hear some benefits, others (like me) don't think you should waste your money. :)

Thanks for your answer, Tom.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I hope I'm using the right terminology.
The Electromotion ESL I've ordered (but haven't received yet), come with an power adapter or converter, a power brick.

When I search for 'power cords' I find a lot of information about just the power cords. I interpret that as the power lead from the wall socket to either the amp inside the speakers themselves (on some models) or to the adapter/converter. Not as 'the cord' being the adapter itself.

I really can't find much about people using different power bricks, with higher amps or voltage output and such. Maybe I just missed them. There is a whole lot of information gathered here. I've found a thread that more voltage to the panels will only give a benefit of higher output volume, but no significant change in sound quality.

I was just wondering if some EM ESL users tried different power bricks. Maybe some will chime in later on.

Thanks again.

Welcome RDC.

The power supply transformer that plugs into the wall then the wire from it goes to the speaker is what you are referring to as the power brick. Is this correct?

The Electromotion in the USA output 15 volts and 0.4 amps. If you are suggestion increasing the voltage and amperage to the speaker I would think you would need to make changes in the Interface and Crossover to accommodate this.

I would suggest contacting Martin Logan about this before you proceed. You may end up letting the magic smoke out of the electronics.

If the magic smoke reference is not used in Rotterdam, than it is the equivalent of short circuiting the electronics and burning them up.

I imagine you are thinking: Surely something better than a cheap looking 'wall-wart' power supply would give better results? I wondered the same, and incidentally mine covers 110v to 240v so I would think they are universal, wherever the country of distribution. In the U.K. they came with adapters to convert the two prongs to our three-pin mains plug format. However, when you think what the power supply does here, it polarises/charges the electrostatic panel. It is not in the analogue line, so should have little if any bearing on the results (as long as it works,).

The only debit point may be if you have very sensitive electronics near the wall outlet, or something susceptible to interference, like a high-gain phono stage, you might want a filter or noise suppression device. But otherwise, I'd not bother. I'm personally more distracted by the weedy speaker terminals, but they haven't snapped off yet!

Best wishes.

Thanks for your replies. Yep, Nopiano, that's exactly what I was thinking. These things are smaller than my phone charger. ;)

And I certainly don't want them to vanish in a cloud of smoke! That would be a serious 'repeatedly banging your head against the wall' scenario...

Latest posts

Back