Thread: Severe sleep apnea

Default Severe sleep apnea

is a condition I have had for decades.

I was stupid and did not use a CPAP machine.

Well I finally did it and its wonderful.

For those that have this condition and don't use CPAP, take my advice and please do it.

It's a life changer.

Best,

Gordon

no doubt Gordon, my dad has used one for years, not only a life changer but also a life saver !
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

hey Gordon.. Kerry and I both have had CPAP machines for years.. I cannot sleep without one.... LOVE IT
    Tom D'Acquisto
    MartinLoganOwners.com owner/operator
    ML Owner from 1988 to 2015 (Sequels, reQuests, Summits, Cinema)
    Currently MartinLoganless
    CL
    ick HERE to see my ML systems of the past.

Click here to see how you can help support this site!

My wife has one....just getting used to it.

The first time I saw her with it on, I said to her, "Take me to your leader!". She had to rip it off in a hurry so she could laugh

I'm actually getting tested for sleep apnea in a week. My wife is convinced I have it and I'm pretty sure she is right. Hopefully a cpap machine can help me get higher quality sleep.
    Rich

This comment is intended solely for educational purposes and should not be construed as conveying any express or implied warranty of fitness for any other purpose. Said comment constitutes merely the humble opinion of its maker and does not reflect the views of the MLOC or of ML, Ltd. YMMV. Trust your own ears.

Super User

Awesome to hear guys.

Yes, unfortunately even I have one.

Joey "kid with grey hair" V
    System 1: Emm Labs TSDX Transport -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Cary SLP-05 Pre -> Boulder 2060 Stereo Amp -> B&W 802D3, AQ WEL Power Cords, AQ WEL Speaker Wire, AQ Wind (reterminating to XLR)
    System 2: Rotel RA1592 Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    System 3: Rotel RC1570 Preamp -> Rotel RB1582 Stereo Amp -> B&W CM10s2 (ESL11a replacement??)

Estimate is 50% or more suffer from some form of sleep apnea.

Problem is many folks ignore it like I did for years. Big mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hopefully a cpap machine can help me get higher quality sleep.
    It definitely will my friend.

And the new tech is awesome.

My wife claims I snore a lot and has suggested I go get tested. I require little amount of sleep (~6 hours) and never really suffer from bouts of tiredness. I have considered getting tested, if only to curb my snoring, but I am weary after hearing stories of people who have been threatened to have their drivers licenses taken away for not faithfully using the machine once they are administered one. I don't know if this is a specific situation relevant only to our location but, I can personally see why many might be worried about not exposing themselves to such control.
    MAIN: Squeezebox Transporter (slaved) --> Lessloss 2004 mkII Preamp/DAC (master) --> Innersound ESL800 mono amps (panels) & Sanders Magtech stereo amp (woofers) --> Sanders 10c speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Pneumonic View Post
    My wife claims I snore a lot and has suggested I go get tested. I require little amount of sleep (~6 hours) and never really suffer from bouts of tiredness. I have considered getting tested, if only to curb my snoring, but I am weary after hearing stories of people who have been threatened to have their drivers licenses taken away for not faithfully using the machine once they are administered one. I don't know if this is a specific situation relevant only to our location but, I can personally see why many might be worried about not exposing themselves to such control.
    Hi Pneumonic,

Never heard that one. What you can do, as a first step, is have your Doc order a "Oximeter" test to determine your blood oxygen levels while you sleep. You simply put the device on your index finger and the data is downloaded to determine if there are significant fluctuations. Pretty inexpensive. Anything below 88 is not good and is an indicator that you have a constricted airway which is the root cause of snoring.

If that's the case, you may want to consider a "sleep study" to determine how severe the issue really is. You will need that test to document if you have apnea and then your doc can prescribe the appropriate device including a CPAP machine.

Another option. There are a number of "over the counter" products that you can try (mouthpiece inserts, etc.) that are designed to resolve the constriction. Dentists can create a custom insert but that may be expensive.

Send me a PM if you want more info. I know the "drill" and been there, done that. Many people have apnea. You should not "ignore" this problem because of the potential negative impacts (stroke, etc.) on your health.

Hope that helps.

Best,

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon.

I read a local newspaper some years ago that highlighted this particular case in which someone had their license revoked after not attaining a CPAP machine. Presumably, this was due to them being a driving risk (falling asleep?)

Now, I can confidently say that being tired enough to fall asleep throughout the day, is not something I need worry about. Heck, I am barely tired when its time to hit the sack for the night. And, upon waking in the morning, I am amped-up and ready to go like no tomorrow. So, I am almost certain I am getting a good quality of sleep and would test fine at the clinic (if I could fall to sleep there).

Perhaps my fear (of losing control of my license) in unfounded and questionable?

I have thought of using a nasal inhaler or one of those snoring devices. I think that is the route I will take first.
    MAIN: Squeezebox Transporter (slaved) --> Lessloss 2004 mkII Preamp/DAC (master) --> Innersound ESL800 mono amps (panels) & Sanders Magtech stereo amp (woofers) --> Sanders 10c speakers

Sounds like a bit of over reach on someone's part.

Yes, try the anti snoring devices. They are typically mouth inserts that keep your jaw "forward" to allow for an unconstricted airway in your throat. That may resolve the problem.

Best and good luck,

Gordon