The ever changing ears of audio...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Ok, I have to come clean and admit it.. I am selling my ML odyssey.. Not that anything is wrong with them but rather I have been playing with dynamic cones and find them easier to blend and place in this room.. Although the Odyssey play well there is something tiny missing and it may be the room, it may be my ears are changing with age !

I gave these a good hard chance and I have had 4 other world class cone speakers in the same room and they just sounded better at the areas the ML were distracting me

They are posted on the classified section

I am not sure yet as I am slowly narrowing it down to a two speakers.. They will be used as I rarely buy new but know the history of them when I purchase

Between 4 high end friends I have a lot of speakers to demo..

Ok, I have to come clean and admit it.. I am selling my ML odyssey.. Not that anything is wrong with them but rather I have been playing with dynamic cones and find them easier to blend and place in this room.. Although the Odyssey play well there is something tiny missing and it may be the room, it may be my ears are changing with age !

I gave these a good hard chance and I have had 4 other world class cone speakers in the same room and they just sounded better at the areas the ML were distracting me

They are posted on the classified section

I am not sure yet as I am slowly narrowing it down to a two speakers.. They will be used as I rarely buy new but know the history of them when I purchase

Between 4 high end friends I have a lot of speakers to demo..

Well Bummer. I will send u an email

Chris, obviously 'I' understand having recently switched to my Revel Studio II's. Having recently listened to the Logan 13a's I admit that I could just as easy switch back !

I have tried to not admit it. I like the panel sound but with my ears I hear better detail placement with dynamic drivers.. Not just detail but aura and size that is more refined .. Like I said this room may have a lot to do with it as I know ML can sing Amazing grace

It's perfectly normal to want the change. I've long been a Martin Logan fan but I always have a traditional dynamic speaker in the stable. Each design in my current setup has its strengths and weaknesses (FWIW the Elac 607 X-Jet is all strengths). It will be interesting to see what you will choose for a new speaker.

1523467-kef-reference-205-in-black.jpg

Last edited:
I am Officially ML -less.
After a long weekend at AXPONA getting ears treated..

I worked a deal on some Porsche Amethyst, Wilson Sophia's from a good friend . I love the sound of the three way design and bass and stage detail is outstanding..
We will see how they do in my room soon.. Dynamics are as good as I have heard.. Again its synergy.. I may need to tweak some cables and wires..

I had Sophia 2's around this time last year. A very good speaker that can sound drastically different with gear changes. They were a breath of fresh air after owning B&W 802 D2's. I will get something like the Yvette in the future. Enjoy the new speakers!

Last edited:
Congrats on the Wilsons Chris.

I was very close to going with Wilsons too, I had a local deal on Alexias but I walked away from last minute.

I am enjoying my 802D3 and have not had any desire to move away from the top flight D3 series just yet. I will be probably moving to 800D3 shortly.

Very cool joey. I see the strads replaced by olympica? Or did you replace them with the B&W? Don't think I have heard the olympica? Also. The AQ WEL? They change the name so often. Did you compare cable or no?

Very cool joey. I see the strads replaced by olympica? Or did you replace them with the B&W? Don't think I have heard the olympica? Also. The AQ WEL? They change the name so often. Did you compare cable or no?

Heya Tim,

It went:
802D2 -> Strads -> Rockport Avior -> BW 802D3 -> ? 800D3 ?

The Sonus Faber Olympica 3 are in the family room, it fits the area just right and sounds fantastic on all sources.

The Audioquest WEL has been their reference for a few years now, they may change the names of the lower lines, but not the WEL. The WEL stands for William E. Low, owner of AQ. It is their best and I compared it to a few other cables including some of their own lower lines and the AQ WEL stands on its own. I didn't have the budget to complete the wire loom just yet as it costs an arm and a leg.

I have an 8 foot single/biwire speaker wire set.

I have two 3ft AQ Wel power cords.

I need one more AQ Wel power cord and 2 AQ Wel XLR.... but not sure when that's going to happen. Haha

http://www.audioquest.com/tree-series/wel-signature
http://www.audioquest.com/power-cables/wel-signature
http://www.audioquest.com/reference-series/wel-signature

The cost is astronomical unless you have contacts or get lucky.

Congratulations from a newbie on your Wilson purchase. I'm sure they will be brilliant. I've never heard Wilsons of any type sounding other than stunning, and Sabrinas would be my dream - for a modest, by US standards, British living room.

My affair with the MLs was short-lived. I might post the story some time, but they've gone back and I have a loaner pair of ATC SMC40 sounding wonderful, dramatically more transparent than the ELS and decent bass pitch, among other strengths (the MLs admittedly suffer from import price penalties here).

I have a loaner pair of ATC SMC40 sounding wonderful, dramatically more transparent than the ELS and decent bass pitch, among other strengths (the MLs admittedly suffer from import price penalties here).
IMO the SCM40 is arguably the best speaker for the price I've heard along with Audio Note AN-E Lexus Hemp and Neat Momentum s3xi. The instrument and vocal placement is perfect, bass is fast and clean. I had Wilson Sophia 2's as mains and SCM40'S for secondary speakers at the same time and I found myself listening to ATC the most. There is something honest about their presentation and they are super cohesive for a 3 way. The problem is it takes days of listening to really appreciate the sound so I could see people passing on them at stores. I hated them for almost a week when I brought them in.

Last edited:
IMO the SCM40 is arguably the best speaker for the price I've heard along with Audio Note AN-E Lexus Hemp and Neat Momentum s3xi. The instrument and vocal placement is perfect, bass is fast and clean. I had Wilson Sophia 2's as mains and SCM40'S for secondary speakers at the same time and I found myself listening to ATC the most. There is something honest about their presentation and they are super cohesive for a 3 way. The problem is it takes days of listening to really appreciate the sound so I could see people passing on them at stores. I hated them for almost a week when I brought them in.
That's fascinating and reassuring! I 100% agree about the sound. But for for me it was blindingly obvious from the first bars how natural and precise they were. All the others I heard, including the MLs, some new ribbon Quads (Z-3 and Z-4), ProAc D20R, and Sonus faber Venere 2.5, were all slightly cluttered or blurry. Percussion in particular, and grand piano, have the ring of truth!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back