Got a rattle? Check this . . .

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So I have had an annoying rattle in my system for awhile now that I couldn't pinpoint the cause. It only occurred during deep bass notes at high volume. I thought maybe it was the equipment rack, or this metal lamp I have near the speakers, or one of the diffuser panels. I couldn't figure it out. Finally, with the help of a teenage kid, I found the source of the rattle. The lock nut for one of the rear spikes on one of my Summits had come loose, and slowly unscrewed itself all the way down the spike, and was rattling against the spike during heavy bass passages. I screwed it back in tight, and no more rattle! So if you hear a rattle, check to make sure all your lock nuts are tight on your spikes. Just thought I would pass that knowledge along in case anyone else has a similar issue.

So I have had an annoying rattle in my system for awhile now that I couldn't pinpoint the cause. It only occurred during deep bass notes at high volume. I thought maybe it was the equipment rack, or this metal lamp I have near the speakers, or one of the diffuser panels. I couldn't figure it out. Finally, with the help of a teenage kid, I found the source of the rattle. The lock nut for one of the rear spikes on one of my Summits had come loose, and slowly unscrewed itself all the way down the spike, and was rattling against the spike during heavy bass passages. I screwed it back in tight, and no more rattle! So if you hear a rattle, check to make sure all your lock nuts are tight on your spikes. Just thought I would pass that knowledge along in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Haha!! This is valuable info rich! I truly mean it. Thanks. Tim.

Guys that's a given ............. 'always check your nuts' !

LOL. I hate it when I get a rattle in my nuts! Growing old is tough.
When I read "rattle" all I could think about was the car classic "marbles in the ashtray". I could just hear you say, "THAT'S where I lost my marbles!"

When I read "rattle" all I could think about was the car classic "marbles in the ashtray". I could just hear you say, "THAT'S where I lost my marbles!"

Bernard, you'll be proud to know that the teenage kid that helped me pinpoint the source of the rattle is a Canadian.

Check those drive unit nuts too. Was amazed when I checked my mini monitors about a month ago.

In fact, I disassembled my Apogees after buying an electric screwdriver and reassembled them using thread lock about a month ago too.

Lotta hex bolts there. Serious amount.

It is amazing what constant vibration can do to what were seemingly very tight bolts.

I became accustomed to constantly checking my nuts for looseness until I found that lowering the bass output of the sub-woofer to minus values eliminated the tendency. ;^)Going from -2 to -4 solved the problem. The speakers are not by any means close to the front/side walls either but the bass integration is now near perfect. (This is a subject that Roberto always had strong opinions on i.e. "less is often more")

You'll also find that your nuts aren't the only things that rattle. Panel resonance is another annoying side effect at higher volumes. The upshot of this is that the panel mounting bolts should also be checked at the same time.
My fine tuning has proved so successful that I've not required to check my nuts for several years. :)

I became accustomed to constantly checking my nuts for looseness until I found that lowering the bass output of the sub-woofer to minus values eliminated the tendency. ;^)Going from -2 to -4 solved the problem. The speakers are not by any means close to the front/side walls either but the bass integration is now near perfect. (This is a subject that Roberto always had strong opinions on i.e. "less is often more")

You'll also find that your nuts aren't the only things that rattle. Panel resonance is another annoying side effect at higher volumes. The upshot of this is that the panel mounting bolts should also be checked at the same time.
My fine tuning has proved so successful that I've not required to check my nuts for several years. :)

May I ask where these panel mounting bolts are on Summits? On certain recordings, like my MFSL 'Fly Like an Eagle' on certain synth parts and Adele Live certain notes set the Panel resonance up, thanks!

Back