Summits/tubes

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
This is the very first time I have every played my summits With tube amps why did I take so long! I have always used solid state! I was kind afraid because everyone was saying u need SS because of the low impedance of the Logan's. Well I'm using a primaluna hp power amp and it is driving them very well with no noticeable loss of the hi end. It's a very nice pleasing sound with an excellent midrange and warmth of live music like u hear in the concert hall. I'm sure some will disagree but that's what's nice about this hobby who cares as long as ur happy! Happy listening!

Yes, Summits sound fantastic with a quality tube amp. Welcome to the club.

no doubt, drove my Spire's for years with a pair of Rogue M-180 monoblocks

Yes, tubes and ML work well together. Enjoying my Summits with Manley Labs 240/100 mono's. Ebven if the impedance in high's os low, there little power required up there.

Yes, tubes and ML work well together. Enjoying my Summits with Manley Labs 240/100 mono's. Ebven if the impedance in high's os low, there little power required up there.

the reality for me is that being in my mid sixties a 'rolled off' high isn't something I'd notice anyways !!

This is the very first time I have every played my summits With tube amps why did I take so long!
Congrats on being enlightened by the glass bottles!! pun intended. The Prima HP are excellent, in addition to being robust and very well designed. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment pairing with the Summits.

Congrats on being enlightened by the glass bottles!! pun intended. The Prima HP are excellent, in addition to being robust and very well designed. I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment pairing with the Summits.
Thanks everyone for the positive replys on tube amps. I'm loving the sound that my summits are producing more so now!

Do we think the primaluna HP would drive an Odyssey?

I like the Prima Luna "Autobias" feature. They state that if a tube blows it is identified as such, you just replace that single tube, and you're all set; you do not have to replace it as part of a matched pair.

I think so, but they would do best if bi-amped with a SS amp on the woofers.

Hola. This is a clever idea, but you must take in consideration the sensitivity of both amps, or to have one of the amps with volume control. This is for sensitivity match.

Happy listening!

I think so, but they would do best if bi-amped with a SS amp on the woofers.
Agreed. My original reply was specific to the Summit-X where the Primaluna HP is only asked to drive the panels. The Summit's woofers are active and being driven by the internal amp.
FYI, my tubed SixPacs are of similar design and power range as the Primaluna and they are fine handling my ReQuest panels. My woofers are driven my my Levinson 331 solid-state amp.

the reality for me is that being in my mid sixties a 'rolled off' high isn't something I'd notice anyways !!

I'm up there too, but I miss the top end extension and sparkle with tubes on ML esl's, because of the wicked <1ohm impedance.

Cheers George

Back