Audiophiles ......... what a strange lot !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remember Opinions sell and Opinions are like A$$ holes. Every one has one and they all stink !

While these rooms aren't pretty (how much do you think you earn writing an article or two for a low-volume magazine once a month?), I don't see them as particularly bad-sounding or "faulty" in any major respect. Just good, honest lounge rooms.

As I said just above - a magazine writer ain't going to be earning 1/10th of the salary most of the "customers" of this sort of equipment earn (such as us on this forum). Hence, while you might imagine it while reading, they ain't going to have rooms like we see in our member system pages.

Last edited:
Saw this thread from the Klipsch gang on some of TAS & Stereophile's staff and their listening space. It's worth a look...... and a laugh !

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/138477-the-listening-rooms-of-stereophile-tas/&

This is good. And it makes you think all reviewers should post pics of the listening environment. What a joke. My environment is WAY better than this. And my new room that will be available in two weeks will be better still. This is rather depressing. I don't think cables make a difference now!! :).

This is rather depressing. I don't think cables make a difference now!! :).

shame on you .........for we all thought you were in Gordon's (aka the dude) camp !

shame on you .........for we all thought you were in Gordon's (aka the dude) camp !

I still is!!:). But these guys probably claim vinyl sounds better than digital too!!

I still is!!:). But these guys probably claim vinyl sounds better than digital too!!

You heathen!! I thought you were a nice guy...Lol!! Enjoy your 0's and 1's buddy, I'll be enjoying a carbon compressed rock drug though a ditch of pleasure...what was this about?? Oh well, maintain...

You heathen!! I thought you were a nice guy...Lol!! Enjoy your 0's and 1's buddy, I'll be enjoying a carbon compressed rock drug though a ditch of pleasure...what was this about?? Oh well, maintain...

Ok, ok... I like vinyl too... grew up with a thorens td 145 turntable with a shure (think it was an m91ED) and an audio technical cartridge.....I don't want to talk about my vinyl collection.... it hurts too much..... :( ..... and the turntable???? I seriously think my father threw it out.... I can't find it anywhere........jeeezuuz...... I actually went to his house - and he had a false wall put in where a closet was to expand a bathroom...... I took down the wall.... I thought for sure I'd find the turntable..... Personally - I like everything there is about vinyl.... I was persnickety when cleaning ... touching.... etc.... and then........ the flood..... yep - original pressings of beatles lps etc..... you get the idea.....

Saying that - I have not heard a rig sound better than my directstream w DSD.... not saying it isn't obtainable - but I just can't go the distance with what it would cost....

Saying that - I have not heard a rig sound better than my directstream w DSD.... not saying it isn't obtainable - but I just can't go the distance with what it would cost....

This. I have never been so satisfied with a source as I am with my DSD.

Hence the reason for some folks who jumped on the SACD wagon.

Yes my friend, DSD is quite good assuming a reasonable quality music source (recordings, downloads, etc).

And I'm with you timm, for me vinyl is just too much work. Cost is an entirely separate issue. No criticism of vinyl fans intended.

PS: Sold my 40 year old record collection a month ago to a well endowed gentleman in California who happens to own the TechDas Air Force One turntable. He seems to be happy with my records.

Last edited:
I play some vinyl on another system but use it mostly for diffraction in a cabinet between my speakers

I play some vinyl on another system but use it mostly for diffraction in a cabinet between my speakers

CAP. Do you find the diffusion effective w your records?

Hence the reason for some folks who jumped on the SACD wagon.

Yes my friend, DSD is quite good assuming a reasonable quality music source

Haha. Gordon, I was actually using the initials DSD to refer to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Both CD's and SACD's sound incredible through this DAC.

But you are correct. DSD files sound wonderful, which is why I own more than a few SACD's. Now I just need to upgrade my PS Audio Memory Player Transport to the current version DirectStream Memory Player so I can send the DSD files on the SACD's straight to the DSD DAC. I'm telling you ... You really need to audition this combo.

This. I have never been so satisfied with a source as I am with my DSD.

Does this refer specifically to DSD as your source, or all source material through this DAC?

I only play DSD through SACD, but agree it sounds wonderful.

PS - I just saw your reply to Gordon.

Last edited:
Ok, ok... I like vinyl too... grew up with a thorens td 145 turntable with a shure (think it was an m91ED) and an audio technical cartridge.....I don't want to talk about my vinyl collection.... it hurts too much..... :( ..... and the turntable???? I seriously think my father threw it out.... I can't find it anywhere........jeeezuuz...... I actually went to his house - and he had a false wall put in where a closet was to expand a bathroom...... I took down the wall.... I thought for sure I'd find the turntable..... Personally - I like everything there is about vinyl.... I was persnickety when cleaning ... touching.... etc.... and then........ the flood..... yep - original pressings of beatles lps etc..... you get the idea.....

Dang, you made me cry bro, not an easy thing, and I hear you. Mine ain't perfect but, it has the 'magic' after all these years. I'm always open to something that sounds better. I just can't give up 'The Ritual', it's been a part of me for 4 decades, they'll have to pry my TD-125 MK II from my cold, dead fingers... !Man machine.jpg Very old photo.

Dang, you made me cry bro, not an easy thing, and I hear you. Mine ain't perfect but, it has the 'magic' after all these years. I'm always open to something that sounds better. I just can't give up 'The Ritual', it's been a part of me for 4 decades, they'll have to pry my TD-125 MK II from my cold, dead fingers...
Craig, I used to have a Thorens as well (TD 160), with a Shure M91ED. I went from the Shure, to AKG, to Ortofon MM, to Supex, and finally to Koetsu; I'm not changing from Koetsu. Have you tried a moving coil cartridge in your system?

Back