Audiophiles ......... what a strange lot !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang, you made me cry bro, not an easy thing, and I hear you. Mine ain't perfect but, it has the 'magic' after all these years. I'm always open to something that sounds better. I just can't give up 'The Ritual', it's been a part of me for 4 decades, they'll have to pry my TD-125 MK II from my cold, dead fingers...View attachment 19181 Very old photo.

very very sweet....!! and yes - I know about the ritual.... I actually liked the ritual.... something relaxing about picking up the record with index finger in the middle and thumb on the edge... putting it down... getting out the zerostat.... putting the D3 fluid on the discwasher and cleaning it right before you drop the needle....

Haha. Gordon, I was actually using the initials DSD to refer to my PS Audio DirectStream DAC. Both CD's and SACD's sound incredible through this DAC.

But you are correct. DSD files sound wonderful, which is why I own more than a few SACD's. Now I just need to upgrade my PS Audio Memory Player Transport to the current version DirectStream Memory Player so I can send the DSD files on the SACD's straight to the DSD DAC. I'm telling you ... You really need to audition this combo.

I have all ready drunk that kool aid as you know Rich.... I have so much on disc... terabytes upon terabytes of hi-res & DSD.... I just can't see going with the memory player....and as most of us a boatload of CD and a bunch of SACD.... Alll of the SACDs are on disc now though.... Although, their pre-amp has me a bit interested..... Curious what the next upgrade will be on the DSD.... it sounds so great with Torreys now.....

I have all ready drunk that kool aid as you know Rich.... I have so much on disc... terabytes upon terabytes of hi-res & DSD.... I just can't see going with the memory player....and as most of us a boatload of CD and a bunch of SACD.... Alll of the SACDs are on disc now though.... Although, their pre-amp has me a bit interested..... Curious what the next upgrade will be on the DSD.... it sounds so great with Torreys now.....

Timm, how did you rip your DSD files off of your SACDs? I have been exploring that and if I can find a good way to do it, that could save me from having to upgrade my transport. Then I could just rely on the Bridge 2 network interface and use Roon to access all my music. I have found a program called SACDExtractor, but I can't find much information on it to know how well it works.

Timm, how did you rip your DSD files off of your SACDs? I have been exploring that and if I can find a good way to do it, that could save me from having to upgrade my transport. Then I could just rely on the Bridge 2 network interface and use Roon to access all my music. I have found a program called SACDExtractor, but I can't find much information on it to know how well it works.

It is difficult. It is nigh on impossible.

I own a lot of music on SACD. Most music released on SACD have DSD files available on Usenet. As I own the licence to this music, I have no qualms about acquiring the DSD files instead of creating them myself which is an overly arduous process.

Craig, I used to have a Thorens as well (TD 160), with a Shure M91ED. I went from the Shure, to AKG, to Ortofon MM, to Supex, and finally to Koetsu; I'm not changing from Koetsu. Have you tried a moving coil cartridge in your system?

Yes, it was an AudioQuest AQ404 if IIRC, back in the mid '80's, it was a little too heavy for the SME arm, I had to back the rear weight too far off for comfort but, the sound was very nice...I have several cassettes, TDK MA-XG's and other nice ones that I recorded with that cart and I know exactly which ones they are when I hear them. I guess that makes me just like the tread title says...eh?? I had a Grace F9E MM that I wish I'd kept. The current Shure was made for my arm and it sounds so right.

Of course, there were many preamps over the years and all phono sections differ. Around Christmas in 1979 I treated myself to a system upgrade. a just released Sanyo Plus Series A35 integrated amp and Genesis speakers (the ones with the green foam surrounds and inverted dome tweeter). I brought the Thorens to the showroom with the Grace on it and 2 salesmen offered to buy it...I said "no way dudes". The Plus Series was very under rated, nice MOS-FET design, superb MM phono and headphone amp. I had it sent to a tech friend in VA and he updated the caps and power supply a few years ago, liked it so much he bought one for himself for his bedroom system.

I still use it for a headphone amp for the AKG 701's, and it was built on my birthday, the sticker on the bottom says 'built 8/10/79' :D

I went to the audio circle forum. They had some guys there that had the PS2s that were altered to do it.

Back