Foundation Research Power Cord With Integral Conditioner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not done any investigation on fuses; I should.

You should.

Everyone playing with power cables should.

The power going through your enormous, thick power cable (essential so that your amplifier can get unconstrained current) made of 99.99999% pure silver or oxygen free long grain copper is then going through a half-millimetre thick shaving of tin-zinc alloy on the other side of the shiny billet of case material (where you can't see it).

That is almost alchemy!!

You should.

The power going through your enormous, thick power cable (essential so that your amplifier can get unconstrained current) made of 99.99999% pure silver or oxygen free long grain copper is then going through a half-millimetre thick shaving of tin-zinc alloy on the other side of the shiny billet of case material (where you can't see it).

That is almost alchemy!!
This is a power conditioner, not a power cable.

When it doesn't cost me anything to try it out, I am loathe to dismiss something without listening to it first (especially when others claim that they hear a difference).....I am not like the kid who says he has never tried mushrooms because he doesn't like them. However, I can't afford the cost of high-end fuses (I just looked up prices).

Last edited:
Hi Bernard:
A local dealer provided me with an in-house demo of the Foundation Research LC10. I was so impressed that I purchased four of them, one each for my Summit's, CD player and integrated amp. I think it was around 2008. Recently the same dealer allowed me to try the Audiomica Laboratory power cable. It was superior to the LC10 only on the amp. I now have an spare LC10 but I'm reluctant to part with it in case I ever get a turntable.
By the way, I also changed the LC10 fuse to the Synergistic Black. It was so effective that I changed all of the fuses in my equipment. I suggest that upgrading the fuse would bring the LC1's to a new level.
I just looked up the price of Synergistic Black fuses....Holy Cow! US$120 for a single fuse! I can't afford to play. My budget for toys is too limited for me to splurge on that.

Hey Gordon,

What is this "digital filter"?

Note please - I'm not disparaging this (or you) - as I said in the other thread, I have Shunyata kit in my system, and my Hydra power conditioner probably has this "digital filter" in it too.

So I guess I am asking as much about my own equipment as I am yours :)

But I sure as heck don't know what it is, or what it is supposed to do. Can you enlighten?
Adam, I'm curious as to why you bought a power conditioner. As explained by others, in other threads, after the AC goes through the power supply components, it emerges as pure DC, so theoreticallty what came before does not matter.

Last edited:
You should.

That is almost alchemy!!

:D

Don't forget the thin traces on the circuit boards inside the case. They should all be modded with big honking wire :)

Adam, I'm curious as to why you bought a power conditioner. As explained by others, in other threads, after the AC goes through the power supply components, it emerges as pure DC, so theoreticallty what came before does not matter.

I have never used that argument.

1. Primarily for equipment protection.
2. Power conditioners (and re-generators for that matter) do make a difference.

I took delivery yesterday of my second LC1. Disconnected the first LC1 from my DAC, and connected both units to power my speakers. Glad I bought them. Before the connection I listened to some vinyl, then repeated with the same vinyl after connection. A big improvement across the board, top to bottom.

Problem is that I now have to get another one for my DAC, and one for my preamp!

"Stereoman" here gave me the name of the store in Toronto where he bought his LC10 units. The website indicates that they have used LC1s, so I contacted them, not that I can afford to buy more immediately. The story on Foundation Research is that they are still in business (the story of their demise was fake news), but they only build the units when ordered. The LC1 is no longer being built; it has been superseded by the LC10, the price of which is CAD$1,095 (just over US$800).

They occasionally get in the LC1 on a trade towards the LC10. The price is $350 - $450 CAD; there is a waiting list. The name of the store is My Kind of Music.

Bernard, that's good news that the power conditioning PC's have made that big of an improvement. One would expect the differences would vary as it relates to 'quality' of power in any given area.

Bernard, that's good news that the power conditioning PC's have made that big of an improvement. One would expect the differences would vary as it relates to 'quality' of power in any given area.
HEYY! We export power to PA, and it's all clean! :)

You have a point, Dave, but I expect that along their travels the lines pick up a lot of crap.

I've been listening to digital today, of course with an ordinary garden hose sized power cable driving my DAC. The improvement is amazing.

I managed to score yet another one of those rare Foundation Research LC1 units, so I now have one powering each speaker and one powering my DAC. The combination is incredible.....very realistic, in some cases making the speakers disappear!

All I need now is one more, to power my preamp.....and the funds of course. I already have the IEC connector to install in my preamp, and am hoping that my nibbling tool is up to the task of enlarging the existing hole to accept the connector.

You're adding an extraneous friction connector to your power chain? That can't be good news for sound quality :devil:
You jest Sir, but I hate those connectors with a passion as there is no standard. When I plugged the first LC1 into my DAC, I was sure that the connector would fall out if I just moved the DAC a bit; this actually almost happened after. It seems better with the latest LC1, but I'm going to change that IEC inlet to one made by Furutech as it's a more secure fit.

I'm glad to see that if you use a Furutech plug with a Furutech inlet, the mating is very secure.

Adam, I would suggest that you take my word for it and try an LC1, but they are rare. I got one from Connecticut, one from Vancouver, and one from Portland, Oregon. They are made in Canada.

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

I am glad to hear you have a set of LC 1's on your Martin Logans. They made a huge difference when I put them on my Odyssey's. Regarding the black Synergistic research fuses Stereo man suggested do make a huge difference. I replaced the original Synergistic research sr20 fuse in my amp with the black fuse and the changes were not subtle.

Anyone looking for a product similar to the LC 1 could buy a Blue Circle BC 68 powercord with a similar built in conditioner. The LC 1's as previously stated rarely come up for sale.

They are expensive however the upgrade in what you hear afterwards makes them well worth the monry. I will replace the LC 1 fuses with the black fuses at some point and report back my findings. As Bernard stated you can only do so many upgrades at a time. Synergistic made a red fuse previously before the black fuse. There is a huge forum topic on audiogon about the fuses.
Greg

Last edited:
Hey Greg,

Welcome back! I was wondering where you had gone.

Yup, those LC1s were a HUGE improvement to my system; I was lucky to get three within such a short period. I didn't realize that there was so much potential in my system.

Stereoman's SR Black fuse upgrade was to the LC10s. I'm waiting to hear about your experience with the LC1s. It's somewhat scary to spend US$129 on a "component" that costs you money when it operates exactly as intended, blowing (pun intended) your $129 (plus exchange, shipping, and customs) out the door.

Called ML customer service last year. Stated: forget about getting power cords. They'll make no difference for your Aeon's. From the horses mouth. ciao

Called ML customer service last year. Stated: forget about getting power cords. They'll make no difference for your Aeon's. From the horses mouth. ciao
You are missing the key to this whole discussion....these are not just power cords; they are power conditioners. In any case, I believe my ears over what any customer service department (ML or otherwise) states.

Last edited:
Grey, it's good to know that the Blue Circle products are also made in Canada. At $515, I think I'll just wait till I find another LC1 as I got the last three for $300 or less.

Latest posts

Back