Foundation Research Power Cord With Integral Conditioner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I recently acquired on an Audiogon auction a used Foundation Research LC1 power cord with integrated line conditioner. Just like so many other small companies, the Canadian company that manufactured it is no longer in business, unfortunately.

User MOON, who seems to have departed from this site, stated a while ago that they were supposedly the best power cords to use with MLs.

The captive garden hose power cords are terminated in big, beefy power plugs; there is a big box in the middle. The unit is to be used with a single component.

I am using it on my DAC, and am astounded by the improvement, top to bottom. On one track higher piano notes seem to just float in the air, but then when something lower is played, you really hear the foundation (sic) of the piano. There are low level instrumental lines that I could not hear before that I do now. Vocals are much clearer, bass is better as is much else.

I'm now looking for an LC1 for my old but beloved preamp, which I will have to modify as it has a captive power cord.

I hope this does not morph into yet another cable war. If it does, so be it, but I will avoid getting entangled in any skirmishes.

Last edited:
It will. If you put sugar on the table, the ants will come.

But I'm sure you knew that before you hit the "New Thread" button.

Enjoy your new power cable.
Adam, I was well aware of that, but I posted it for the choir, not for the atheists loitering outside the church. :)

no war >...
If it sounds better to you thats outstanding.. I to am looking for power cords..

Now Bernard, you know the reason it sounded so well ..........being a used piece it already had the obligatory '500 hour break-in' !!

you know me, I couldn't resist ...........:devil:

On a serious note Bernard this should not start another 'cable war' since what you have is actually a component given that it has a line conditioner built in and one that is obviously effective !

Hi Bernard. They are making fun of me but that's OK for the moment.

Glad you like the PC. After having installed my final SR PC (digital filter), I am extremely pleased with the cost versus benefit ratio.

Chris, please send me a PM if you want to discuss the "over the top" performance benefits of using SR power cords.

Best,

Gordon

Now Bernard, you know the reason it sounded so well ..........being a used piece it already had the obligatory '500 hour break-in' !!

you know me, I couldn't resist ...........:devil:
Yeah, I'm thankful for small mercies.

On a serious note Bernard this should not start another 'cable war' since what you have is actually a component given that it has a line conditioner built in and one that is obviously effective !
True.

One thing this highlighted for me is that there does not seem to be a standard for IEC connectors. I can see the power cable falling out of the DAC if the DAC is moved, but it fits better into other components. I'm really amazed that the power cable supplied with my MLs does not mate as tightly with the MLs.

OTOH, Apple has it right...try pulling out from the Mac Mini or Airport Express the cheap-looking 2-pin power connector. It is TIGHT!

Glad you like the PC. After having installed my final SR PC (digital filter), I am extremely pleased with the cost versus benefit ratio.

Chris, please send me a PM if you want to discuss the "over the top" performance benefits of using SR power cords.

Best,

Gordon
Hi Gordon. I'm glad you're enjoying your Shunyatas. I bought one just to try it out when I saw it on Canuck Audio Mart; got it for $100. When it arrived I found it too stiff to use, so I promptly relisted it. Got an offer within an hour from someone local, who came to pick it up 3 hours later. I lost not a dime.

OTOH, Apple has it right...try pulling out from the Mac Mini or Airport Express the cheap-looking 2-pin power connector. It is TIGHT!

Good point Bernard for you have touched on an issue I believe to be one of the most important with regards to a properly designed PC .......solid /tight electro-mechanical connection.

Best,

Gordon

I am in your camp buddy!! :)

After having installed my final SR PC (digital filter),

Hey Gordon,

What is this "digital filter"?

Note please - I'm not disparaging this (or you) - as I said in the other thread, I have Shunyata kit in my system, and my Hydra power conditioner probably has this "digital filter" in it too.

So I guess I am asking as much about my own equipment as I am yours :)

But I sure as heck don't know what it is, or what it is supposed to do. Can you enlighten?

Hey Gordon,

What is this "digital filter"?

Note please - I'm not disparaging this (or you) - as I said in the other thread, I have Shunyata kit in my system, and my Hydra power conditioner probably has this "digital filter" in it too.

So I guess I am asking as much about my own equipment as I am yours :)

But I sure as heck don't know what it is, or what it is supposed to do. Can you enlighten?
Adam, reading your question made me curious too about this digital filter, so I Googled it; link below to the Shunyate web site.

It seems that it it is a filter that prevents high-frequency noise generated by digital components from getting back into the power line (and impacting other components). The Foundation Research pc is based on the same principle, though they don't make analog and digital versions.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/products-vm/power-cables/ξtron-α-alpha-detail

I am awaiting delivery of a second Foundation Research LC1, this one for my preamp (which I will have to modify by replacing the captive power cord with an IEC inlet); I managed to get this one at the same (reasonable) price as the last one. Of course, the first thing I will do is use the two power cords to power my speakers, to hear what difference, if any, they make (using vinyl as the source).

Last edited:
Hi Bernard:
A local dealer provided me with an in-house demo of the Foundation Research LC10. I was so impressed that I purchased four of them, one each for my Summit's, CD player and integrated amp. I think it was around 2008. Recently the same dealer allowed me to try the Audiomica Laboratory power cable. It was superior to the LC10 only on the amp. I now have an spare LC10 but I'm reluctant to part with it in case I ever get a turntable.
By the way, I also changed the LC10 fuse to the Synergistic Black. It was so effective that I changed all of the fuses in my equipment. I suggest that upgrading the fuse would bring the LC1's to a new level.

Last edited:
Hi Bernard:
A local dealer provided me with an in-house demo of the Foundation Research LC10. I was so impressed that I purchased four of them, one each for my Summit's, CD player and integrated amp. I think it was around 2008. Recently the same dealer allowed me to try the Audiomica Laboratory power cable. It was superior to the LC10 only on the amp. I now have an spare LC10 but I'm reluctant to part with it in case I ever get a turntable.
By the way, I also changed the LC10 fuse to the Synergistic Black. It was so effective that I changed all of the fuses in my equipment. I suggest that upgrading the fuse would bring the LC1's to a new level.
Hi Bill:
Thanks for the info. There is currently an LC10 on Canuck Audio Mart for $875... somewhat out of my price range, much as I'd like to buy it.

I have a VPI PLC for my turntable, so I'm covered there.

I've not done any investigation on fuses; I should.

Adam, reading your question made me curious too about this digital filter, so I Googled it; link below to the Shunyate web site.

It seems that it it is a filter that prevents high-frequency noise generated by digital components from getting back into the power line (and impacting other components). The Foundation Research pc is based on the same principle, though they don't make analog and digital versions.

http://www.shunyata.com/index.php/products-vm/power-cables/ξtron-α-alpha-detail

So it must have some sort of active componentry/power conditioning in it, similar to your Foundation Research?

Latest posts

Back