Dolby Atmos Ceiling speaker help

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradh1

Reaction score
Hi posted this over on AVS. Got some help from Sanjay and Jonathan a long time member form here. I thought that I might get more help here from fellow ML owners.

I just started the process of looking into Dolby Atmos. I would like to get some options from those of you that have already upgraded to Atmos.

Current speakers 7.2 Martin Logan Montis for the front, Stage for center and FX2 for sides and rear and 2 Rythmik E15's. Equipment Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre-pro. I will have to replace this for sure and add a 4 channel amp, plus 4 height speakers to achieve 7.2.4.
Room is approx. 22x14 with 8ft ceilings and a bulkhead on both sides 12in high and 12in wide. I have the FX2 mount high on the sides and rear which work really well in there current setup. I could lower the FX2 closer to ear height ( or replace them with motion 4's) and add 4 motions for the height channels. Or I could keep the FX2 and add 4 FX for the height channel put them on bulkhead and lower the FX2. Last keep the FX2 lower them and add 4 motions for height channel.

I know Dolby recommends direct firing speakers for Atmos. I was just curious if you guys think the FX would work being they are a bipole and not a dipole.

Jonathan had suggest ML in ceiling speakers and lower the FX2's closer to ear height. With the ceiling being finished it would almost be imposable to get the rear atmos speakers wires run because a staircase is on one side of the room where the wires would need to come out.

Sanjay suggested mounting the FX2's as height channels and using Motion 4's as sides and surrounds. The FX2's weight in at 16lbs each. The only mount that I have found that might work is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBNEE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER which still may not work.

I did put in the Dolby Atmos demo disc. I was surprise how the FX2 handled the tracks down converted to 7.1. There was a since of height towards the rear but a gap to the front. There was a great deal of localized sound moving around from the FX2's I stood up and placed my head over the MLP and it got better.

This got me thinking that Motion 4's would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get Atmos height channels and get them installed myself. This is a mount that I found that should work for the Motion 4's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV0FHG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

Based on Dolby 7.1.4 setup https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf my height channels will be close to bulkhead or mounted on them pointed down.

I have attached a pictures that might help. As you can see I am limited some what in where I can place surround speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 977
  • IMG_3753.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_3754.jpg
    IMG_3754.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,189
  • IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 706
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 653
Hi posted this over on AVS. Got some help from Sanjay and Jonathan a long time member form here. I thought that I might get more help here from fellow ML owners.

I just started the process of looking into Dolby Atmos. I would like to get some options from those of you that have already upgraded to Atmos.

Current speakers 7.2 Martin Logan Montis for the front, Stage for center and FX2 for sides and rear and 2 Rythmik E15's. Equipment Denon AVP-A1HDCI pre-pro. I will have to replace this for sure and add a 4 channel amp, plus 4 height speakers to achieve 7.2.4.
Room is approx. 22x14 with 8ft ceilings and a bulkhead on both sides 12in high and 12in wide. I have the FX2 mount high on the sides and rear which work really well in there current setup. I could lower the FX2 closer to ear height ( or replace them with motion 4's) and add 4 motions for the height channels. Or I could keep the FX2 and add 4 FX for the height channel put them on bulkhead and lower the FX2. Last keep the FX2 lower them and add 4 motions for height channel.

I know Dolby recommends direct firing speakers for Atmos. I was just curious if you guys think the FX would work being they are a bipole and not a dipole.

Jonathan had suggest ML in ceiling speakers and lower the FX2's closer to ear height. With the ceiling being finished it would almost be imposable to get the rear atmos speakers wires run because a staircase is on one side of the room where the wires would need to come out.

Sanjay suggested mounting the FX2's as height channels and using Motion 4's as sides and surrounds. The FX2's weight in at 16lbs each. The only mount that I have found that might work is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBNEE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER which still may not work.

I did put in the Dolby Atmos demo disc. I was surprise how the FX2 handled the tracks down converted to 7.1. There was a since of height towards the rear but a gap to the front. There was a great deal of localized sound moving around from the FX2's I stood up and placed my head over the MLP and it got better.

This got me thinking that Motion 4's would be the easiest and cheapest way for me to get Atmos height channels and get them installed myself. This is a mount that I found that should work for the Motion 4's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV0FHG/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1YX7EB80E4EIU

Based on Dolby 7.1.4 setup https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-speaker-setup/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.pdf my height channels will be close to bulkhead or mounted on them pointed down.

I have attached a pictures that might help. As you can see I am limited some what in where I can place surround speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Brad

You have a good thing going here. Not sure if you are going with a 7.2.2 or 7.2.4? I used Vanquish for atmos and would recommend them again. They are large, heavy and pricey but worth every penny

You have a good thing going here. Not sure if you are going with a 7.2.2 or 7.2.4? I used Vanquish for atmos and would recommend them again. They are large, heavy and pricey but worth every penny

Thanks for input.
I will go with 7.2.4 I have thought about ML in ceiling speakers. The only thing is there isn't a way for me to get the back height channel wire out of the ceiling. The back part of the rooms floor joist run into a staircase. The front part of the room will work fine. The floor joist run into the unfinished part of the basement. That is reason I was looking at the motion 4's and I don't really want to put 5K in atmos speaker. With the 4's I can get a small cable channel paint them and hide the wires.

Do you think the Motion 4's would work and be a good match?

Thanks
Brad

I forgot to mention. Jonathan had said something about using a coaxial speaker like Kef. So maybe one of the Kef small bookshelf's would work.

Brad

Nice room brad!!!!

Thanks Tim.

If I every get the opportunity to build another room I will makes sure to run some PCV pipe or something thought the floor joist etc. I had to use a cable management track on the ceiling to get an HDMI cable to my projector years ago. Now with 4K I have 2 HDMI cables in the track one from the 4K Blu Ray and one from my Denon AVP.
If I would've be thinking about projectors and ceiling speakers etc. I wouldn't be in this ceiling speaker Dilemma. Then in a few years it will be speakers in the floor and everywhere 😃

Brad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back