Proud new Ethos owner, weird imaging going on.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramodt

Reaction score
First I must say WOW!! They really are amazing, I get a great staging, singer is dead center, and like up on a stage, but all the other instruments seem way down below the singer. ?

Thanks

First I must say WOW!! They really are amazing, I get a great staging, singer is dead center, and like up on a stage, but all the other instruments seem way down below the singer. ?

Thanks

I've had some weird imaging issues too. You really need to play around with positioning (and treatments) in your room. You'll find heaps of resources here on the MLOC regarding positioning and room acoustics. Start reading, and start playing around with your speakers. It won't take long to get an acceptable sound from them, but it will take much effort to get them perfect. This is half the fun!

If you want to post some pictures, I'm sure there will be no shortage of members who will give you some pointers to get you started.

Rake is the cure

Don't be afraid to go strait up and down Vocals are always mixed center.. Instruments are placed by mikes.. Check a definite KNOWN recording when adjusting.. Get them out from the front wall too.. Never is a ML going to do its thing at less than 4 feet.. Did I say NEVER .. Might just as well get a cone and pin it to a wall

Cool. Thanks. It is part of the fun setting them up and finding just the right music. So far I can't complain. I've sat through a $200k system and I'm not quite there, but knowing what $200,000 sounds like, I'm beyond impressed with my less than $5000 system.

I've always found it interesting how they manage to resolve vertical sound stage with a panel.

On my system the singer is centered but seems a bit low until I slide my 65" TV forward about even with the panels. At that point the sound stage solidifies and the singer seems lifted.

"In my room" the 65" TV and equally wide stand it's on which are sliding on felt on a hardwood floor appear to nicely block the center reflections when they are pulled just shy of even with the speakers. I've tried sound deadening directly behind the speakers and that didn't seem to help. However when I was trying the sound deadening the room was carpeted and I never moved the TV forward.

There are so many variables with a room.

I agree 100% with C.A.P. I've had my Ethos for over 2 years and only recently, thanks to a 'rake' thread on this forum, set my speakers vertical, and WOW. The magic is spooky. It's like rediscovering electrostats all over, again. These speakers are ultra sensitive to positioning. I had removed some of the rake, originally, and shift to vertical was very small but again, a profound improvement!

Again ......... I agree with Chris (CAP), rake adj combined with bringing ones speakers at least 4' into the room makes a big improvement. IMO 6' is ideal but if it compromises your seating position against your back wall then obviously compromises must be made.

Latest posts

Back