Autoformers good or bad for MLs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macallan

Reaction score
I am the owner of a pair of Ethos and have been very happy with the sound. I currently use a Juicy Music Peach II preamp which uses a 6h30 type of tube and a B&K 200.2 amplifier. Overall I am very happy with the sound but am considering upgrading my amplification. I am considering the McIntosh Ma7900 or MA6700 but have read mixed reviews about MLs and the autoformers from McIntosh. Any concerns or downsides to using the autoformer type of amplifier with MLs?

I love the way my current set up sounds but want to move my Peach/B&K combo to another room with my Klipsch RF-7s for my son and have the McIntosh in my main listening area. Is this an upgrade, lateral, downgrade?

I have also considered the Peachtree Nova220Se. Is this even in the same ballpark as the Mcintosh?

FWIW, recently I listened to the 13a's being driven by a pair of Mac 601's and thought they sounded superb

I have a pair of Monolith 3's and have amps that can drive them well no problems at all.
A friend gave me some Zero Autoformers as a contra deal, so I hooked them up before I sold them to see what they do, the sound took a hit for the worse.
What I can say to this if your amp is not a good match with the load/s of esl's or any other speaker, the Autoformer idea will work and make that amp work, but it is a band-aid fix. Your far better off getting the right amp to do the job.

Cheers George

Last edited:
I have no problem with my McIntosh 601's and my CLX's. They sound superb.

I have on order a primaluna hp tube power amp suppose to be wonderful on summits. Ml uses them for demos some times!

A pair of McIntosh MC2200s in bridged mode driving Aerius i, using the 4 ohm taps, and they sound glorious. Tried the same amps with Montis during a home audition and they sounded significantly more glorious. Almost cried like a baby when they came to take Montis back.

Back