Phase question/preamp issue

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
So recently my Cary slp98p pre stopped. No power .. no tube light up , no blue light on the front. I'm suspecting power supply but if any of you have ideas - appreciated. The power is in a separate box.

So the Cary is normally out of phase so I need to flip flop the speaker connections. I have decided to hook my psaudio directstream direct to my amp. So I have it playing w phase out and have left connections on the speakers the same. The bass seems tremendous I was surprised. So I can hook my descent by daisy chaining off of my sunfire signature 5 channel amp. But the question is what should phase be on the descent? It almost seems like I have some bass cancellation with it on.

Thanks tim

Not sure why you had to play with the phase using the Cary pre if I read you post correctly. I looked at thePS Audio DAC before purchasing the M1 and it certainly can go direct to your amps with XLR and the RCA to two descent subs. The phase should stay consistent and it should be fine. Unless you have analog inputs you may actually like the direct approach better plus it will save the cost of repair.

Not sure why you had to play with the phase using the Cary pre if I read you post correctly. I looked at thePS Audio DAC before purchasing the M1 and it certainly can go direct to your amps with XLR and the RCA to two descent subs. The phase should stay consistent and it should be fine. Unless you have analog inputs you may actually like the direct approach better plus it will save the cost of repair.

The cary is 'phase inverting'...... my amp is not - hence you need to connect black to red.... red to black on the speaker connections....

It does seem very nice direct..... and I was floored by that because the move to the cary was a huge jump from my prior pre.... I have a descent sub - and literally do not seem to need it.... Which got me investigating and I saw John Atkinson's measurements way back when.... The Cary is listed as an 800 ohm impedance - fine and dandy for a low impedance load on my amp of 24K... but then he notes that it swings to 8K at low frequencies which could rolloff lower frequencies in some amps...... I am not sure if the normal 10:1 ratio applies on the lower frequency impedance... if so.... 80K > 24K which would indicate a rolloff of lower frequencies .... which would jive with my experience with the DS direct.....(120 ohm flat)....

So recently my Cary slp98p pre stopped. No power .. no tube light up , no blue light on the front. I'm suspecting power supply but if any of you have ideas - appreciated. The power is in a separate box.

Thanks tim
Is it plugged in (the IEC connector as well), and have you checked the fuse? I have had IEC plugs fall out (through no fault of my own, of course).

Is it plugged in (the IEC connector as well), and have you checked the fuse? I have had IEC plugs fall out (through no fault of my own, of course).

I have not checked the fuse... I assume it is inside.... wondering if anyone knows if it is soldered in... or whether it just kerplunks into a 'fuse thingy'... :)

oh - and yes... I know what you mean about the connection... plug etc..... it was plugged in... I changed plugs etc to make sure it wasn't a bad outlet etc..

Hey, timm, I wish I could help. Very nice piece of gear, Love the Cary sound!

I also didn't know it was phase inverting, why do designers do this? I know Conrad Johnson does some stuff like this and maybe a few SS designers as well. I thought it was a tube thing...btw, the 'fuse thingy' is a 'doo hickey' or 'thing-a-ma-bob' depending where in the US you live :eek:

Hey, timm, I wish I could help. Very nice piece of gear, Love the Cary sound!

I also didn't know it was phase inverting, why do designers do this? I know Conrad Johnson does some stuff like this and maybe a few SS designers as well. I thought it was a tube thing...btw, the 'fuse thingy' is a 'doo hickey' or 'thing-a-ma-bob' depending where in the US you live :eek:

I read that it makes either for a shorter or simpler signal path?? And yes... I will check for the doo hickey after I handle the fuse thingy..... :)

I was surprised, but there are a number of doo-hickey branded products.

SKKDOOHICKEY2t.jpg

I read that it makes either for a shorter or simpler signal path??

Answer is simpler. One less thing the pre needs to do before signal output.

Please note that CJ products do not have balanced inputs or outputs.

Latest posts

Back