Synology setup question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I have a new Synology RS 815+ NAS and I'm confused about drive setup. It has four 2TB drives that I have setup in a RAID 1 configuration to have some mirroring protection without slowing the processing time down. I initially set it up as RAID 0, but switched it to RAID 1. When it was 0 I could see all of the 7.8TB available however, after I switched to RAID 1 I only see 1.7TB. Why is this? Shouldn't I see more like 4TB available with mirroring of ~4TB?

Any assistance would be helpful..

Thanks!

Dan

Thanks Tom, I believe I see what it is doing from that chart. If I'm understanding, RAID 1 is mirroring the first drive three times thus only giving me 2TB of usable space. I was going to go RAID 5, but I read that it slows the processor and I want to keep the speed as efficient as possible. SHR was another option, but I didn't think it would be as efficient with processing speed as setting up a RAID. I want a mirroring in case one of the drives has a failure while keeping best processing speed and most usable space. I understand it's a give and take. I will backup with a separate drive after I load everything and figure out how much room I need.

Dan

From my understanding RAID 1 mirrors the same as your total TB and cuts it in half.. I am getting a NAS server and will run a RAID 0 as I have 100% hard drive back up on there others computers and HD.. RAID 0 is faster than all of them .. I am not sure I am going with a Synology unit as LaCie has a few too.. Buffalo also has a nice unit.. I am not sure what operating software I will use..

HI CAP, RAID 0 is tempting because I'm not losing any available space and there is minimal processing time allowing the fastest speed. However, no redundancy in the case of a drive failure. I think I'm going to go with either RAID 10 or SHR. Although I'm doing on offsite backup, I would like some redundancy in the event of a failed drive. Thanks!

Dan

Hey Dan, any of the RAID options that says "striping" means that you can lose a drive without losing any data nor any downtime. I've lost a drive in my other NAS, which was 4 bays and it worked great, the NAS alerted me that the drive had failed and I popped it out (power still on.. system still available), popped another in, and the system made it ready and then rebuilt the contents of the drive with what it knew was on there from the other drives. So, it works as advertised. If 2 drives fail, i'm SCREWED. Offsite backup is a good call, just in case. I'm using SHR on my DS1515+ and it's been great.. i have 5 bays, each with a Western Digital Red 3TB drive. Have a backup drive in case one fails.

schedule your data scrubbing each month and look at your logs for bad sectors that could indicate a possible future drive failure..

Tom.

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate you sharing your experience with Synology drives and having dealt with failures. I will go with SHR-2 and run with it.

Thanks again, Dan.

Latest posts

Back