Why some use Banana Plug for the Amp Side and Spade for the Speaker?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharok

Reaction score
Why some people use banana plugs for the Amp and spade for the speakers?

Why not use either banana or spade for both sides?

Is there an advantage to do it banana / spade compared to either banana or spade for the whole thing?

Why some people use banana plugs for the Amp and spade for the speakers?

Why not use either banana or spade for both sides?

Is there an advantage to do it banana / spade compared to either banana or spade for the whole thing?

I put a dielectric grease on my bare copper to prevent corrosion and stuff the wire through the holes without connectors :)

There is no right or wrong way. Use what you like.

convenience ...........

What Dave said, most amps have outputs that favor banana's, most speakers inputs are perfect for spade connections. When you come visit Casa de la stu, you'll see I have this set up.

It may or, may not be perfect but, it's cost effective for most cables you buy without going bat$hit crazy...no offence meant to those that enjoy spending $$$ on cables.

The key is getting the electrons to move freely between the two.

As mentioned, every owner should do the 'spring cleaning' once a year, especially with male/female connections. Just a few pull off/push in's will do the trick, get anal and wipe some 99% iso alcohol or, your brew of choice, spades need little upkeep, a wipe and a tighten down never hurt every once and awhile.

As I have speakers that can be bi-wired, I use spades on the end of the cable from the amp, and lockable bananas on the jumper wires. If I had used spades for the jumpers as well, I would have had a situation where there were two spades under the speaker terminals....not the best for contacts.

As I have speakers that can be bi-wired, I use spades on the end of the cable from the amp, and lockable bananas on the jumper wires. If I had used spades for the jumpers as well, I would have had a situation where there were two spades under the speaker terminals....not the best for contacts.

totally agree with Bernard, I do the same thing.

Back