Ethos vs. Electromotion ESL-X?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beachbound

Reaction score
Theos vs. Electromotion ESL-X?

This is about the Theos not Ethos. Curious if anyone has listened to both of these speakers? Putting together a new theater and will use a pair of these for surround. The Theos are on clearance for less than the ESL-X. Any observations would be appreciated...thanks so much!!!

Last edited:
Theos is a pretty big step up from ESL. You are going to use them for your rear channels? What is the rest of your system?

Regardless of application, I'd take a Theos over an ESL-X if it were cheaper. The Theos has a bigger panel.

If setting up as rears, I'd also place them on risers that allowed the panel to be vertical and the tops clearing the height of the seats.

Last edited:
Hola...as I am always saying: sound its a matter of liking. Is like foodstuff. My liking is toward the new concept. I do like two woofers, and has the same panel than the Theos. The Motion X is not as fancy as the Theos, but the new design with two woofers makes the Motion X be more precise at the bass, with more ¨presence¨and authority. As the Theos, this model comes with bi-wired option. You can bi-amp too. Easy to set up, and very nice looking speaker too. If you can listen both, my advise is, choose the one that your ears liked more.
Happy listening!

I would think that the new ESL-X is the better speaker. I lot of development time was taken to get this speaker with two dynamic drivers just right and out the door to the customer. Panel sizes are very similar. Now I haven't heard either. I just own ESLs. So if the panels are just about the same size... I would take the new technology and pay the little extra and get the dual woofer new guy on the block. I wish I had more cash flow. I go to the Martin Logan website and just drool. Then I sit back and say that I'm lucky to have the technology that all the Martin Logans share, the Xstat panel. That website can be hazardous to your bank. My favorite for my size livingroom would be the Expression 13a. Anyone got an extra 15k they can lend me?

Back