Final questions before buying amp!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bweinstock

Reaction score
Hello all!

Sorry to start another thread - but I am almost ready to pull the trigger on my new amp. I just had a few questions:

1. I use Ethos for fronts, motif x for center, and motion 40 for rears - many have said to get a 2 or 3 channel amp, but others have said to have a 5 channel to control all of it. I figured since the rears don't get THAT much use, a 2 or 3 channel would be fine...but I don't want it to sound inconsistent or be able to audibly tell that the fronts are more powered/stronger/whatever the term is LOL. Would love to know what everyone thinks about this - I figure having the same "sound" coming all 5 would sound best.
2. If I do use a 2 or 3 channel, can I just run the rears and subwoofer through my Marantz 7011 AVR? There won't be any issues w/ using the Marantz as a pre for some of the speakers?
3. Lastly, hoping to get feedback on which amp - my Magnolia guys recommend Rotel, but several owners on here say that ANTHEM and PARASOUND are a great match for ESLs. Thoughts?

Final note: I LOVE the warm sound (at least warm to me) that I get from Ethos/Marantz combo - I want to stay in this realm...I swapped to a Denon for a week or two, and didn't like the sound. I am a fan of the lower end, as I watch a lot of action movies and play games on Xbox/PS4.

So, of the 3 amps listed, which will be the closest to what I'm hearing, maybe even a little warmer? And just which, in general, should I consider - Audiogon has many ANTHEM and PARASOUND for sale, and I can get a great deal on the Rotel - my Magnolia guys said $3K total for the RMB-1585 and 5 AQ RCA connects. That seems like a deal I shouldn't pass up, but just wanted to get a lot of much more informed opinions before I jump.

THANKS!!

Hola. I am a happy owner of several goods by Anthem. Anthem company is a sister of Martin Logan and Paradigm, located in Canada. Their facilities location is the same, but in separated buildings.

What I do like a lot of Anthem is their quality parts inside them, the very good specs and quality sound over all, from bottom to top, with cristal clear highs and a mid-range with outstanding clarity. Its a truly high en product.

As you can see, our Martin Logan Owner and President choose Parasound over Rotel and Anthem. I did not. Sound its a matter of liking. I am not saying that Rotel or Parasound are bad products, no. What I am saying is that I did like more Anthem. What I liked more, specially at the mid-range, where it shows tons of definition. Right with the stage size and depth, and right with the air between the musical instruments. The noise floor its outstanding. I am talking about the Anthem newer line MCA series of amps. Its a newer design with outstanding features and specs. Give them a try. You might like them as I did.

Happy listening!

I had an Anthem MCA-5 Series II and the bass was not as full as my Parasound HCA-885a or Sunfire Cinema Grand. When I hooked it up to my AV123 X-LS, it sounded better than the Parasound so my conclusion is that it doesn't like my Electromotions.

I'd chose Parasound over Anthem and Rotel. All are good, though.

I went the 3 channel Parasound route and am very happy. The other way you could go is the Parasound integrated and pick up a nice DAC at the same time. I was at the factory the Paradyne factory this summer and was quite impressed.

Back