Dampening Electromotion with No Rez

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElectroNoob

Reaction score
When I decided to upgrade my AV123 X-LS Encores with the upgrade kit and No Rez from GR Research, I decided to order a few more sheets of No Rez for the Electromotions. When I opened up the Electromotion I was pretty disappointed to see how cheaply it was designed. My Encores had 2 horizontal and 2 corner braces in the enclosures with tons of sound dampening but the Electromotions had no bracing and a small sheet of poly fill. The Encores retailed for $330/pair so cost shouldn't have been that big of an issue. The mod was pretty easy. The results was a noticeably increased tightness of the bass. My next mod is to replace the cheapy spring binding posts with Electra Cable Tube Connectors which Danny said will have an significant improvement over the entire spectrum.

No Rez:
http://gr-research.com/norez24x27sheet.aspx

1. Remove the front two feet
2. Remove the bottom plate from the speakers and slide it out to the side
3. Disconnect the rear LED light connector
4. Cut out the No Rez and apply (I used about 1.5 sheets)
5. Since the No Rez has effectively no impact on the internal volume, I put the stock poly fill back in
6. Put everything back

Electromotion Innards:
Electromotion_Bottom_Plate.jpg
Electromotion_Inside.jpg
Electromotion_with_No_Rez.jpg

X-LS Encore:
AV123_XLS_Encore_bracing.jpg
AV123_XLS_Encore_Daming_Material.jpg

Here are some measurements using REW and UMIK-1

EDIT: I increased the range on the graph to show where the new curve drops off.

LeftSpeaker.jpg
RightSpeaker.jpg

Attachments

• No_Rez_Right_Speakers.jpg
    No_Rez_Right_Speakers.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 685
  • No_Rez_Left_Speakers.jpg
    No_Rez_Left_Speakers.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:
It sounds really good. The bass sounds more tight and I can definitely hear the bass extension. It's a relatively cheap and easy upgrade and I would recommend it to anyone who has Electromotions.

In those curves, aren't you comparing one speaker with no NoRez and no EQ ("Right Front No EQ") against the same speaker with NoRez applied but WITH EQ ("Right Front w NoRez"), so two changes at once?

I would like to replace the screw down terminal block for the ESL panel at some point. I can't imagine it's not detrimental in some way to the sound.

In those curves, aren't you comparing one speaker with no NoRez and no EQ ("Right Front No EQ") against the same speaker with NoRez applied but WITH EQ ("Right Front w NoRez"), so two changes at once?

Both measures were done without EQ, I didn't put it in the name because it would have been too long.

Let us know if you decide to upgrade the woofer. Wouldn't mind knowing specs which are compatible to our crossover !

I have a couple of 15s for sale and here are my measures without any modification with a sub and without a sub. These measurement were made in my living room with REW and the UMIK-1 microphone showing 1/12 smoothing, not ⅓ smoothing. Maybe no Rez would help but the response is very flat.

Attachments

• ML Motion 15 L+R No Sub.jpg
    ML Motion 15 L+R No Sub.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0
  • ML Motion 15 L+R+SVS 3000 Micro Sub.jpg
    ML Motion 15 L+R+SVS 3000 Micro Sub.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
Back