Summit 25&50 control

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
How many of u use the 25 and 50 hz controls on ur summits and what was ur best method of determining what u thought was the best settings? This is new to me I have never used them always left them on the flat settings. Thanks

I used to have the controls at zero but after installing maple plinths under the speakers I increased the settings to +4. I set it by ear soon after listening to live music. Not that I was trying to replicate a 50 piece orchestra in a hall seating 2,600 people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomson_Hall), but I wanted a flavour of the bass that I had heard. Vibration control is needed before increasing the settings.

I used to have the controls at zero but after installing maple plinths under the speakers I increased the settings to +4. I set it by ear soon after listening to live music. Not that I was trying to replicate a 50 piece orchestra in a hall seating 2,600 people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Thomson_Hall), but I wanted a flavour of the bass that I had heard. Vibration control is needed before increasing the settings.

Are u saying that U increased the the 25 and 50hz to,+4? And thanks for ur reply it's hard to believe that no one on this site ever used there 25 or 50hz controls!

Are u saying that U increased the the 25 and 50hz to,+4? And thanks for ur reply it's hard to believe that no one on this site ever used there 25 or 50hz controls!

I have both controls set to +4. The timpani, cellos, basses, and other large instruments sound more realistic at this setting. Is your floor hardwood or carpeted? Do the spikes go directly into the surface of the floor?

I have both controls set to +4. The timpani, cellos, basses, and other large instruments sound more realistic at this setting. Is your floor hardwood or carpeted? Do the spikes go directly into the surface of the floor?

I have carpet , I have the summit x spokes so they go directly into the floor. Room size is 11'4" w, 23' L, 8' H. Thanks

Settings are going to depend entirely on your room. Buy some measuring gear, measure, adjust, repeat.

Hola. Different recordings have different intensity at the bass or the instrument(s) that produce heavy bass or just bass in a general way of speaking. If your room is bass shy, the you can use those controls to set them up to the desire bass energy at your golden position seat. But the question here is how to use those controls. 50Hz control is for most musical instruments, and the 25Hz is for organ music. I rather have less with quality than heavy bass notes. This is my liking and not necessary yours.

The 25Hz control is of the lowest bass notes, the super deeper ones like organ. Just keep in mind that the last big concert piano musical key note is an A. The frequency response of this not is 27.5Hz. Usually this key note at the piano is not use, because even the piano itself can not reproduce it well. So there are only few musical works using this very low key note.

My advise is: put the knobs in the center position. Play your most liking music and listen to the bass player. If you think that at your golden seat, you need more, the increase only +2dB at 50Hz and listen again. If you have too much bass energy, the sense of 3D and the stage is lost. Some musical notes, if you have it too strong, will be like having the bass player next to you, and then suddenly the bass player on the other musical notes is located at the stage. Its like a cartoon.

For HT settings, use the ones that you liked most. Heavy bass is nice of booming bombs or blast.
Happy listening!

Settings are going to depend entirely on your room. Buy some measuring gear, measure, adjust, repeat.

I, too, highly recommend speaker room acoustic measurements *PLUS listening* when dialing-in the bass, as the overall room dimensions and speaker/listening location determines the bass response. I use XTZ Room Analyzer, and have been amazed at how much variation there is with just minor changes in positioning. When I had my Summits, even after tweaking the 25 and 50 Hz controls (separately, in my case, due to asymmetric room), I still had a ~6 dB null at 50-60 Hz in the sweet spot, which was eventually overcome by adding two BF 210 subs. I still (as expected) have that same bass null with my new Expressions, and am now in the process of dialing in the subs for that.

I highly recommend Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound for explicit details on how to dial in bass, with suggested music selections to guide you.

Hola. Different recordings have different intensity at the bass or the instrument(s) that produce heavy bass or just bass in a general way of speaking. If your room is bass shy, the you can use those controls to set them up to the desire bass energy at your golden position seat. But the question here is how to use those controls. 50Hz control is for most musical instruments, and the 25Hz is for organ music. I rather have less with quality than heavy bass notes. This is my liking and not necessary yours.

The 25Hz control is of the lowest bass notes, the super deeper ones like organ. Just keep in mind that the last big concert piano musical key note is an A. The frequency response of this not is 27.5Hz. Usually this key note at the piano is not use, because even the piano itself can not reproduce it well. So there are only few musical works using this very low key note.

My advise is: put the knobs in the center position. Play your most liking music and listen to the bass player. If you think that at your golden seat, you need more, the increase only +2dB at 50Hz and listen again. If you have too much bass energy, the sense of 3D and the stage is lost. Some musical notes, if you have it too strong, will be like having the bass player next to you, and then suddenly the bass player on the other musical notes is located at the stage. Its like a cartoon.

For HT settings, use the ones that you liked most. Heavy bass is nice of booming bombs or blast.
Happy listening!

Sage advice Roberto. After listening to Beethoven symphony #7 (La Scala Philharmonic Orchestra, Carlo Giulini conducting) at various settings I found the zero setting for both woofers sounds best. The midrange is clearer and instrument timbre more realistic than at higher settings. Nice to find a free tweak every once in a while :)

I would ask two good buddies to help you adjust each speaker while you listen, if they have good ears, switch places. I don't think you need much adjustment with out having the speakers on plinths or platforms.

Why not get a mini soundboard...a parametric EQ, like a SAE 1800 with some cables to your listening spot? Every recording could use some cut and boost in any one of our listening rooms. Have fun!!

Back